G500 or LR4?

vectorsc

Adventurer
So I'm looking at either a G500 or an LR4. Both have about 100k on them. Similar condition.

I'm going to build out an overlander and use it for some daily driving style tasks but not much. I'll only get used in the US and maybe some Canada.

Both have immaculate interiors - the LR4 is 7 years newer. I'm in Colorado so I value a serious offroad capability.

Thoughts?

Claytorr

If you want a unique and incredibly capable vehicle the G500 is the choice. Its a hand built truck and an amazing overland platform. Harald has some great information http://www.4x4abc.com/. That said there is a much larger volume of LR4's and repairs are cheaper. Ultimately drive them both and see which one you like more. You will be sitting in this vehicle alot overlanding and comfort matters

I am biased (I have had 2 G's)

McBride

Adventurer
Two very different animals. Both would be fine in stock form for basic dirt road trips/camping. What years are you looking at?

How much gear are you looking to haul and what mods do you see yourself doing? What sort of terrain do you see yourself getting into?

Careful; building and preparing an overland rig gets both expensive and addictive. The payoffs, however, are tenfold.

I've had 3 Rangerovers (still have one) and currently have two G's. One of the G's is a pure offroad travel rig and there aren't many vehicles that can compare to it. As such, I'd say the G is more versatile as far as overlanding goes. While the Rangerover has been perfectly reliable and capable I trust the G's more and am willing to take them to more exposed places. The RR seems delicate in comparison.

REDROVER

Explorer
For sure g500 , you can't compare it to LR3
G500 is well build machine , with lockers , it's a head turner , way cooler and will keep its value about 98.9 times more than that discovery aka lr3
Down side is parts are impossible to find for G500 vs lr3 that is all over the junk yards

vectorsc

Adventurer
I'll be carrying a good deal of stuff. Like camping gear and spare fuel. I plan to overland between Colorado and Cali mostly. Some Idaho.

Looks like parts for the g500 are more or less special order. Anyone who has big able to compare fuel economy?

I also think I would trust the gwagen more though.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Down side is parts are impossible to find for G500 vs lr3 that is all over the junk yards

You must be looking in the wrong places. Parts are available from any MB dealer, as well as 2-3 US sources that specialize in G parts.

REDROVER

Explorer
You must be looking in the wrong places. Parts are available from any MB dealer, as well as 2-3 US sources that specialize in G parts.

Haha we all know that dealer will get you anything, you need.
how about let's say u damaged the front fender and bumper , finding used parts will be challenge ,

I'll give you another example , front windshield, lr3 has aftermarket for 160 bucks but For G it's a dealer item ,

front window regulator , 100 bucks for lr3 used , vs 600plus For G used ,(if u can find one )

Get the G don't even look back,

vectorsc

Adventurer
I was at a dealer that had a Gwagen and an LR4. He cut me a wicked deal on the gwagen due to hail damage.

I bought the gwagen.

Haha we all know that dealer will get you anything, you need.
how about let's say u damaged the front fender and bumper , finding used parts will be challenge ,

I'll give you another example , front windshield, lr3 has aftermarket for 160 bucks but For G it's a dealer item ,

front window regulator , 100 bucks for lr3 used , vs 600plus For G used ,(if u can find one )

Get the G don't even look back,

Jwestpro

Explorer

Despite your forum name, is it possible you don't actually know much about the newer Land Rovers?

LR3 windshield is heated, "oem" by Pilkington is $500-$600 parts (from a local auto glass shop), Factory is about $900-$1000 from dealer, but neither is anywhere near $160 for a heated windshield which is basically 95% of all LR3 and 99% LR4 in US market. I've tried "aftermarket" on an Audi and it was ****. Never again. Wavy and strange fitting issues.
Good choice on the G. I'd go that route if I were starting over.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I have both

LR4= Fast, smooth, refined, modern, 7- passenger
G-Wagen= Slow, stately, heritage, solid axles, durability, longevity, unique

They are about the same on the trail. The LR4 can be found with a rear locker.

The LR4 gets about 30% better fuel economy.

They are both cool trucks- buy the one that turns you on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12