Garage storage set up

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Just curious to know how you guys have your bikes stored in the garage. Trying to debate whether to use the hooks that hang your bike upside down, wall mount, bike store rack, etc. Currently, I have my road bike on a wall mount (I think it was made for a ladder, but works). The other two are leaning against the wall. Still trying to decide which way to go.

fetus

Observer
I hang mine from the tires on the hooks upside down. It's supposed to help lubricate the shocks on my mountain bikes by getting the oil to the seals. But then it may also put bubbles in my hydraulic disc brakes. So I can't win either way. I have 6 bikes hanging in close proximity to each other to save space.

Hanging them up gets them up off the ground and off the wall for other stuff. Just be careful you don't walk in to them and ********** your head on the end of a handlebar.:Wow1:

I also have those hanging gear lofts.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I have the ceiling pulley mounts that hook on your handlebar and seat. It hangs the bikes in the air and easy to lower/raise.
I love it b/c it saves all that floor space and makes the storage area 100% more usable!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Hanging most suspension forks and shock units upside down is generally not a great idea. I've never heard that claim about the seals being better off upside down. That sounds suspect. Many forks like Rock Shox SID forks have always hated being upside down for long. Open bath forks seem to do a bit better upside down, but rightside up is generally considered the best idea.

Other than that, anything goes.

29er

Observer
My experience has been the same. I had a lot of problems with my forks (Manitou Black and then a Reba) before I finally figured out that my hanging my bikes upside down was the culprit.

Pulley system is tight. I've also built bike trees in the past (2x4s and closet shelving bracket, the kind that lean against the wall). Not bad.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I used to work in a bike shop, and we would only hang non-suspended bikes upside down.

If there was bikes hung upside down for any length of time, you could see oil leaking out of the seals. But if you have air, springs or elastomers, then no worries

1x1_Speed_Craig

Here's the garage at my old place. Ultimately, I had 9 bikes (two of which were tandems) stored in my 2-stall garage, and could still get 2 cars, a riding lawnmower, and a snowblower all inside.

The bikes on the floor against the wall had a bracket with a PVC tube that the end of the handlebar rested in to keep them upright...worked very well.

Craig

bikeStorage.jpg

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I like to hang mine vertical. A hook in every stud and then I alternate the height by about 18" to allow for the handlebars to clear.

The more "Frequentlish Ridden Bikes"
246477751_27c805a4f0_o.jpg

The more "Projectish Bikes" Which I didn't alternate heights on for some reason that is escaping me at the moment... And can be a pain to navigate bikes in and out when they are actually assembled.
4310050661_046e83afa6_b.jpg

-Chris

1x1_Speed_Craig

I like to hang mine vertical. A hook in every stud and then I alternate the height by about 18" to allow for the handlebars to clear.

The more "Frequentlish Ridden Bikes"

The more "Projectish Bikes" Which I didn't alternate heights on for some reason that is escaping me at the moment... And can be a pain to navigate bikes in and out when they are actually assembled.

-Chris

Chris, my man...you are indeed an addict. :sombrero:

keezer37

Explorer
I had a hitch receiver lying around. I like to try to make stuff out of odds and ends. I keep the rack there year round, the bike goes on for the winter and I can accomplish minor maintenance. Space isn't a huge issue though I can stow stuff underneath. I'm just getting in to this whole bike thing. Don't know what I'll do when I have two.
BikeMount.jpg

Keezerbuilt

S

Squatchout

I keep mine in the walkout basement not the garage. But same idea. Just like we used to when I worked in a bike shop years ago. Hung from a hook in every floor joist by the front wheel. I also have some flat "ladder hooks" between joists for spare wheels ect. And lots of nails between joists with cranks, sprockets, handlebars, pedals you name it. Here is a pic of some of the bikes.
P6060013Small.jpg

For what it's worth the same hooks make great fishing rod racks spaced about 3'-4' apart about 6" between rods. Those are in the garage. Cheap and effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger