Garmin GPSMAP 60cx

4runnerteq

Explorer
Merry Christmas to me.Just bought 60cx on Ebay for $188.Cant wait to try it out.GPS gurus what do you suggest to go along with.Yippee Skippee

Clark White

Explorer
Garmin has some nice map sets that will go on that. I haven't received mine yet, so no personal experience, but they look pretty good. I also got the car charger and windshield mount, find if to be infinitely useful when traveling.

LawBlazer

I've got a Garmin Etrex Vista HCX coming in the mail right now. I've been reading up on the programs offered with Garmin and think I am going to go with Metroguide (I am going to buy the MetroGold hack so it will auto-route like City Navigator) and Topo 2008. I like to hear from others and if they think this will be a good combination.

I've heard Metroguide is good as City Navigator, but doesn't offer auto-routing. The hack enables auto-routing with Metroguide. Metroguide is cheaper and it isn't limited to one GPS unit upload like City Navigator. That means I can upload Metroguide to a new GPS unit, if I ever get one. With City Navigator, I would have to pay another $100 to upload to a new unit.

I think I am on the right track. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
cruiserbent said:
Merry Christmas to me.Just bought 60cx on Ebay for $188.Cant wait to try it out.GPS gurus what do you suggest to go along with.Yippee Skippee

I use a Garmin Map76CSx. For me I have loaded the City Navigator and Garmin Topo 2008. The combo does everything I ask it to do. Good city auto routing and navigation and decent back country topo maps.:wings:

We won the 2007 Expo Trophy navigation event with it attached to a laptop PC so it must work. :shakin:

The 60Cx is the same unit without the sensors.

4runnerteq

Explorer
prolly stupid ? but what the heck.will i need the "city dvd" right off the bat or will i be able to put in an address & be directed to it.

Robthebrit

Explorer
The base map in the 60 is just the main freeways and highways. You will need the city dvd to do any route finding. Its a great GPS, one of the best features is it will power itself from a USB cable therefore while its plugged into your PC you don't need external power or batteries.

Rob

LawBlazer

Tucson T4R said:
We won the 2007 Expo Trophy navigation event with it attached to a laptop PC so it must work. :shakin:

So there is no need for any additional software to install on your laptop if you have City Navigator and Topo 2008?

I'll admit that it gets confusing for all the GPS newbies.

Last edited:

bucyouup68

Observer
I had a 60cs and liked it a lot, But,

PROS:

1.Compact Unit
2.Battery Life
3.Good accessories
4.Great Mapping, Only Had the Topo's

CONS:

1. Suction Cup Mount always came off, and causes distress.
2. Screen Size is too small, and i have Perfect Vision.
3. Screen Size to small...
4. Screen Size to Small.....

So I bought this, and i am Very Happy with it,

1549699970_89a33ec3f4_b.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
LawBlazer said:
So there is no need for any additional software to install on your laptop if you have City Navigator and Topo 2008?

I'll admit that it gets confusing for all the GPS newbies.

All of the Garmin mapping software runs under Garmin Mapsource that comes with either the City Navigator or Garmin Topo programs. You can then use mapsource on your Laptop to run either the Cty Navigator or Topo programs.

If you want more detailed PC based Topo maps, you can use National Geographic Topo on your PC. You can load those maps into your GPS unit but it will display your current location and tracks on the PC if you like the additional Topo detail.

For a dedicated car based GPS unit, the screen size is small on the Map60 and Map76. I like them because they are easily removed and small enough to be used when hiking. For me, these models work great. If you want a permenant car mounted system then something with a larger screen would be a better choice.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I have a 60CSx, and I love it.

I bought the City Navigator North America Car Kit, 2gb & 1gb Micro SD Cards, and the Garmin Topos program.

The mount pictured is the one that I've found that works best. The Car Kit comes with like 3 diffent mounts...

I put the City Navigator (Street Nav) software on the 2 gb card, and Topos on the 1 gb card, and I switch it out when wheeling to map trails, etc.

I use the Street Nav every day and it works AWESOME. Congrats on your purchase.

I also hard-wired the power cord into my ignition-hot cigarette lighter outlet. I used the cigarette lighter power cord that came with the Car Kit, cut the plug off of it, drilled a hole in my dash, inserted a rubber grommet, and ran the wire through it for a clean finish, then tapped the power & ground wires into the ignition-hot cigarette lighter plug wires. Works great.

Last edited:

jeeperaz

Observer
cruiserbent said:
prolly stupid ? but what the heck.will i need the "city dvd" right off the bat or will i be able to put in an address & be directed to it.

Just a note of interest... if you plan to have both topo and street maps loaded to the unit at the same time then I suggest you buy both types on DVD rather than the preprpgrammed micro sd cards that are available through Garmin.

With the pre-programmed sd cards, you cannot add additional maps to them. Meaning, if I have a preprogrammed topo sd card, I cannot load street maps to the same card... the street maps will overwrite the existing data on the sd card.

If you have both types of maps on dvd then you can select the ones you want of either type(street and topo) and then load them to the base sd card that comes in the unit. Now you can switch between the two types 'on the fly' without having to change cards.

Hope that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears