GARVIN WILDERNESS RACK/ANTENNA

Hitman76

I have a 97 TJ with the Garvin rack. I had a small antenna attached to the rack but its finally broken off from tree branches. Im looking at mounting a firestick for its replacment. I know that the rack can cause some interference. Where is the sweet spot to mount this on the jeep? Or if you have a rack what type of antenna do you use for a cheap uniden radio and where is its location? Thanks.

WininUtah

Adventurer
I had a mount that attached to left side tail light, worked great with a Firestik. It got knocked aroung pretty good on narrow trails through the trees. I added the rack later and it still worked fine.

Best shot I can find:

large.jpg

irish1371

Adventurer
I use the teraflex driver side light mount also. I added a heavy version spring to it to help with trees ect. The springs come in light and heavy. after about 3 months the light version will flop all over when going down the highway. I could see the rack being a problem with longer range talking but for trail to about 2 or 3 miles I doubt it will do much, if tuned for swr. Mounting below the roof line has an effect on "ground plane" of the antenna. SO basically anything that's not on the top of the vehicle will in some degree interrupt your range.

You may want to try two mounts, one at the tail light with a 4' firestik and spring then one on the rack itself with a 3' firestik and spring while using the optional ground wire to ground to the jeep chassis. It would be about 30 extra bucks to get set up for both and try them out. It might be possible with the spring on the 3' you may be able to tie down the antenna to the rack while traveling if it bothers you sticking up all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger