Gas Cans 05 TundraBeast Build. Another build for the Big Guys!

GasCan

Observer
The snorkel was the one mod I had the most trouble with. I kept flip flopping weather or not to drill a big hole in my fender.

But in the end I did. I took the front quarter off to make it easier. Broke a lot of clips in the process.

There are other threads on snorkel installs, but the most original thing I did was the antenna relocate. You have to relocate the antenna since the snorkel covers it.

I modified a brake tool. The antenna just unscrews from the body.

Cut the body just below where the cable enters.

Drilled a hole in the inner front quarter that fits the antenna body.

Cut the original mounting flange to match the angle on the body panel at its new spot. Made some reference marks.

I dont have a pic of this, but made a corresponding PVC tube with the same angle that goes on the inside of the fender to hold it in place.

Snorkel looks pretty cool but there is a pretty good gap along the bottom. You cant really use the mount template because its for a Land Cruiser and the door frames are different. So drilling is a bit of a leap of faith. Tried to make a braket to hold the upper part, but again the A pillar is different than the LC. In the end a "under cover" snorkel would probably be better.

Getting ready to board the Ferry to Nelson BC

GC

Last edited:

Hummelator

Adventurer
I was using my tundra for work until I bought a 3/4 ton.
On a day to day basis I was carrying 300 Lbs over the payload rating. And I had one time where I had two overhead doors on top with out me nearly 1000 lbs over payload rating. I knew I was going to be carrying a lot of weight and was worried about the sag in the back end.
Went and bought a set of air bags down at standens on 11th st se. Just over $400 and man what a difference. Look into air bags. Could be a good solution to your sagging issue.

tyv12

Adventurer
I put a set of alcan custom leafs with +600lbs leaf pack and they flex very well but if I put 600# in the box it sags 2.5" which was a little disappointing so if you're ordering custom I would order them even heavier if I did it again.. I'll probably end up doing air bags anyway

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I put a set of alcan custom leafs with +600lbs leaf pack and they flex very well but if I put 600# in the box it sags 2.5" which was a little disappointing so if you're ordering custom I would order them even heavier if I did it again.. I'll probably end up doing air bags anyway

+600lbs and how much lift ? Assuming 1.5 lift over stock loaded at 600lbs. So unloaded it should sit even height is my assumption. So if you did 1.5 lift loaded. What was the rear lift height over stock unload? I'm wondering if you say at 1.5 over stock unloaded?
Did you ever contact Alcan to see what they said?

Hearing how everyone is telling me to go custom and ended up not getting what they paid for makes me worried. Like everyone else. I want 1.5 lift over stock loaded so if I did 500lbs + springs. It needs to sit at 1.5 loaded with 500lbs. I could care less that it's lifted 2.5 over stock unloaded as this is expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice snorkel install. Like the antenna relocation. I would probably ditched it as I never use AM/FM. If I need it for whatever reason. My HAM has AM/FM ability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
That's crazy. Me, my wife, and all our stuff comes in to about 6000

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

GasCan

Observer
That's crazy. Me, my wife, and all our stuff comes in to about 6000

AC or DC? Not sure of the weight difference. 400ish lbs???

I was as shocked as anyone. Have you weighed it? This was at a truck stop scale. Its one of the unmanned remote ones. Nobody there but the scale was on. Gonna load up again one day and weigh each axil separately. Then decide on a leaf pack. Might have to put the Tundra on an Alum diet.

I do have alot of heavy stuff on it. RTT, Rack, retractable bed cover, Spare, 2 fuel cans, HiLift jack, winch, 2nd battery, fridge and slide, beer, sliders, big pig of a custom rear bumper....Damn, I even had a spare front drive axil!!

Should do a spread sheet to see if it adds up.

ToyoTech, have you ever weighed your truck kitted out? I'm guessing you will be close to me.

GC

Last edited:

AaronK

Explorer
AC. Also weighed at an old truck stop scale. Can't remember the individual axle weights

tyv12

Adventurer
I'll take some measurements from fender to hub loaded and unloaded just to compare how the rear squats loaded so you can compare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman