GAS VS DIESEL

556ID10T

I want a newer ish truck for its low milage(60k or less) and rust free qualities. Probably 07-13 chevy, I want something that I can just jump in and go and not have to dump a bunch of money in or rebuild right away. It will be my DD. I keep thinking about it and more and more I cant really justify a diesel adn since the new diesels have all that bs on them now there out the window anyways. On a side note who as expierence with the 5.7 hemi and the powerwagons they seem interesting.

STU

technoweenie

The + side of older rigs, in terms of emissions and whatnot goes, is you can burn waste oil, ATF, etc.. as fuel. Whether it be a means of cutting costs (critical, when diesel was 4$ a gallon), or recycling, or using anything that's available in a SHTF scenario.

Modern injectors and emissions components won't tolerate that junk for very long, whereas older systems will eat it up and ask for more.

I've had success running a 6.2 chevy diesel on 60% oil, 10% gas, 30% diesel...

The other thing is, with diesel, it may become more economical to turn your offroad rig into your DD.... Insurance/registration/purchase costs for a second vehicle can easily trump fuel savings on an additional, more efficient vehicle.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The bigger your truck needs to be, the more you need a diesel. It's only when you're running:
- huge lifts
- giant tires
- DRW
- trailers all the time

Then the diesel makes sense. Otherwise if you can stick to a SRW and 295/70 r17 tires, then the gasser wins for sure.

Oh, and my new Ford 6.2L gasser has plenty of guts, so that's not an issue. The 5.4 and GM 6.0 are also plenty, but your have to flatten the gas pedal and let them rev. I love the chumps that complain about their lack of torque, but won't let the engines scream where they do make power and torque. Our new fleet DRW's are diesel because they're so big that they'd only get 5 mpg on gas. Nothing about a diesel is cheaper. Stick with gas unless you have no other choice because you're truck is too huge for gas.

derjack

Adventurer
Hello everyone been a lurker for awhile taking in all the knowledge here and i'm about ready to get a truck after a long hiatus. I'm normally a rclb guy but thinking of future family possibilities I might opt for a eclb. That aside I'm just wondering if I should get the Vortec or a Duramax. I've always been intrigued by diesels but never had one. As for outings it would be limited to weekend trips for now. I also won't be towing anything that I forsee in the considerable near future. That being said I want a truck that I can use for 20 years and do what ever needs to be done. So gas or diesel!

Thanks,
STU

these discussions have been done 15 years ago on this side od the Atlantic. Here it falls down on 2 points: a gallon diesel is at the moment at 5.5$, gas is very, very cheap since some months at 6.5$.
there is a break even between diesel and gas in mpg costs are mostly at around 15.000 miles/year, when the diesel engine becomes cheaper. Diesel engines are more expensive in purchase and insurance.
though maintenance is more expensive on diesel.

BUT less than 1%, wayybless, use their cars more than 10 years. most people/companies swap their cars to new ones after 3 years.

its interesting to see for me that people in the us think in several hundred thousand miles range. in the middle of Europe a car old, when turned 70tmi!
on the other hand we spend roughly 2-400$/on maintenance witch gives the engines/cars(suspension, like bushings) a long life.

if there is not a noticeable difference in costs because of better mpg price/range and maintenance (better to plan these costs on these "high-tech" diesels)- you should just go with a vortec. this is low tech engine and has therefore pretty low maintenance costs and repair costs.

PS: just bought an old e350 diesel, for fun and travel. I don't think that I can pay the fuel costs in 10 years anymore. ergo this rig will be worth nothing anymore. sad but true.

D

Deleted member 9101

Hello everyone been a lurker for awhile taking in all the knowledge here and i'm about ready to get a truck after a long hiatus. I'm normally a rclb guy but thinking of future family possibilities I might opt for a eclb. That aside I'm just wondering if I should get the Vortec or a Duramax. I've always been intrigued by diesels but never had one. As for outings it would be limited to weekend trips for now. I also won't be towing anything that I forsee in the considerable near future. That being said I want a truck that I can use for 20 years and do what ever needs to be done. So gas or diesel!

Thanks,
STU

My opinion as someone who has owned both: Unless you are towing a heavy load on a very regular basis, stick with a gas motor, your pocket book will thank me later. Modern gas motors are damn near indestructible and net very respectable fuel economy, even when towing.

Kmehr

Adventurer
A lot of good material here for making an educated decision. If you don't tow, gas probably makes more sense from a pure financial standpoint. However, drive a similar truck with both engines. don't rule out personal preference. If you aren't pinching pennies that hard, go with what you like the best, either a gas or diesel engine from any of the big three can easily last you 200k if properly maintained. Plus if you're posting on this forum, you probably like working on your car so doing maintenance is fun.

Kaisen

Explorer
What are peoples thoughts on the 1500s with the 6.2 or should I just stick with a 2500.

The newest 2014 or 2015 with the direct-inject 6.2 is an incredible motor (420 hp / 460 lb-ft). The new 2015 with the 8 speed is really the best of the best. Awesome power at any rpm, yet very fuel efficient in the real world. I've gotten over 25 mpg on a freeway run in a 6.2 6spd crew 4x4.

It's still a half ton with lighter duty components, so weigh out your needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78