gasket for tub?

dawsonc61

Observer
what does everyone use as a gasket to weather seal the lid/tub of the trailer. I've been using rubberized foam from home depot but it sucks...leaks like crazy!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Do you have pictures of your trailer body and lid so I can have a look at it.

A few issues here:

1) you need about 1/4 gap between the trailer body and lid so the seal isn't completely crushed.

2) If you have flex in your trailer chassis (M416 or Canadian 101) it's going to be hard to create a perfect seal as the trailer body is flexing.

3) Rather than using a foam strip it's best to use a automotive rubber bubble seal.

Once I see some pictures to see what type of lip you have on the trailer and lid we can work on something for you.

dawsonc61

Observer
IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_5397.jpg

My trailer build

It has a gap of 1/4 inch at the hinge but then tapers down to nothing at the tailgate. I need to install some sort of bumper at the rear to keep it from crushing the new seal i put on.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_5397.jpg

My trailer build

It has a gap of 1/4 inch at the hinge but then tapers down to nothing at the tailgate. I need to install some sort of bumper at the rear to keep it from crushing the new seal i put on.

You can get rubber plugs that would give you the gap you need. Our experience is those get crushed as well over time. We now use natural felt which seems to hold up much better.

You can get bulb seal with a sticky back, comes in different bulb sizes and widths. Mc Master Carr has a good selection.

If you want the bulb and felt from AT we can also supply.

dawsonc61

Observer
You can get rubber plugs that would give you the gap you need. Our experience is those get crushed as well over time. We now use natural felt which seems to hold up much better.

You can get bulb seal with a sticky back, comes in different bulb sizes and widths. Mc Master Carr has a good selection.

If you want the bulb and felt from AT we can also supply.

Martyn - Sent you a PM

In case anyone else knows the answer, I thought I'd revive this old thread. The gap between the lid and tub of my trailer is approximately 1/4". Which of the following bulb seals most closely resembles the bulb seal that AT trailers use, or which one (in your opinion) would work best for my application.

1142a141c1s.gif
1129a302c1s.gif
1129a101c1s.gif
1129a201c1s.gif
1142a482c1s.gif
1129a901c1s.gif
1142a39c1s.gif
1142a54c1s.gif
1129a610c1s.gif
1129a710c1s.gif

Thanks for the help guys!

D

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: JC Whitney has 100's of choices of auto seals/gaskets

I've used their seals for years-great stuff

:victory::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

dawsonc61

Observer
I actually found a pretty decent automotive weatherstripping at Lowes. HD doesn't have it.

Well i wend by Lowes last night and didn't see much. I'm currently running the rubberized foam from Lowes and it sucks. Leaks like crazy. I know I'm not going to get a total water tight seal but what I've got now isn't much better than nothing at all.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't know if yours has it or not, but make sure you look carefully. It was hard to find, I just happened to stumble on it. It was with all the other weatherstripping, but it's black. They had some that looked like a B, but is in fact two D bulb seals and you tear them apart. They had another that was a W profile. IIRC, it was labelled as Auto/RV/Boat weatherstripping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior