Gasoline or propane?

HarryT

Adventurer
Which burns hotter? Which is the more economical?
I've got a Coleman 424 (dual burner, dual fuel) and a dual burner propane (20 pound tank) stove.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I thought gasoline was more economical until I got an adapter to fill 1 lb bottles from a 20lb. I haven't noticed any difference in heat. Gasoline is probably better at 40 below zero. I switched to propane about 20 yrs ago because propane doesn't spill and the stink doesn't last.

Tanto

Adventurer
I know propane is hotter when burned in an internal combustion engine. As for camp stoves, it probably depends on your regulator & the heat knob. If it is cold out, it does seem to slow down and not burn as hot on my regular BBQ.

(aside from it being cold out!!!)

rusty_tlc

Explorer
HarryT said:
Which burns hotter? Which is the more economical?
I've got a Coleman 424 (dual burner, dual fuel) and a dual burner propane (20 pound tank) stove.
Heat depends on the stove. They all have a BTU rating for the burners. Some of the propane stoves are pretty weak, others like the Camp Chief are screamers.

The 424 is rated as follows on the Coleman web site.
21,000 BTUs total cooking power (11,500 BTUs on main burner and 9,500 on auxiliary burner)

As to economy, I doubt you will use enough of either fuel in a season for that to be a factor, especially when you compare it to fuel for your vehicle. On a BTU per pound basis gasoline delivers more BTU's with less weight and space.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Propane is probably easier to scale up. For example, there are large propane burners for use with things like turkey friers and large diameter paella pans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears