Gazell, a pop-up camper for Jeep JKU

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Comparing the Gazell and the Ursa Minor is interesting - but you should consider that the extra 15 inches of the Gazell makes it much more useful and allows the use of the interior space when camping (instead of camping "along side" and "on top" of the Ursa Minor).

I really like that, with the Gazell, the full bed can be left in place while one person is up and sitting in the back area - that is a requirement for me for use here in the windy / rainy PNW - great for napping or night owls / early bird couples. Just wish it had a bit more height at the front end of the bed like the Ursa Minor with the scissor lift mechanism instead of the simple hinge.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
This may be what I am looking for as well. Hope the import price isn't too astronomical! :Wow1:

You can find the european pricing earlier in this thread; they are already expensive. My experience with import prices from Europe are all over the map; occasionally they are lower here than in the home market (tax and regulatory costs are high, and there are incentives for exporters of some types of products). An expensive choice none-the-less, and I would not expect a big increase because of that factor. There is not much marketing price-headroom for a big increase. They would already be at the very top-tier in price.

This product also offers significant advantages for that high price, usable interior space not least among them. It will be very interesting to assess the "value for money" aspect at the Expo.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
One thing I wonder about is how they manage the recovery points on the rear end - It doesn't look like their extension is that beefy (based on the very short clip shown in the video) to allow a winch line to be attached to it.

Also - It doesn't look like there is a way to have a trailer hitch either. Not a show stopper for me - but I could imagine it might be for others. Of course, a trailer hitch can be added to anything by a good welder/fabricator - especially here in the USA where our rules on things like that are not very strict.

haven

Expedition Leader
Clever design.

My guess is that you'd have to be a pair of circus gymnasts for two people to be inside simultaneously. Not an insurmountable problem: "Honey, go sit in the cab while I put on my socks."

I like the almost-stock appearance when painted to match the Jeep's body color. And the modular construction would make repairs a simple matter after you back into a tree.

I look forward to a full report from OX16.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I just noticed in another thread that EarthCruiser will be offering a pick-up camper version of the Gazell and will show it at the NW rally in June in Plain WA:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ser-Overland-Vehicles/page75?highlight=gazell

attachment.php

kenaero

Observer
You can find the european pricing earlier in this thread; they are already expensive. My experience with import prices from Europe are all over the map; occasionally they are lower here than in the home market (tax and regulatory costs are high, and there are incentives for exporters of some types of products). An expensive choice none-the-less, and I would not expect a big increase because of that factor. There is not much marketing price-headroom for a big increase. They would already be at the very top-tier in price.

This product also offers significant advantages for that high price, usable interior space not least among them. It will be very interesting to assess the "value for money" aspect at the Expo.
Those are all things I thought about, VAT vs tariffs etc...so hopefully its a wash. If its close I will be saving my money because short of them coming out with that diesel Africa concept this is pretty much what I want.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Disappointment...

Well, that kind of sums it up; not because of the product, but because I could not find the Gazell at the show. I could only attend Friday, however.

So. Did anyone see it? Impressions?

haven

Expedition Leader
Maybe Earthcruiser will resell the GaZell Jeep product as well as the slide-in camper for midsize pickups. The announcement may come at the NW Overland Rally, June 23-26.

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
To revive a thread from the dead, for those interested in actually finally seeing the Gazelle kit installed and on US soil, we took delivery today of the only kit ever imported to the US. Like our Facebook (Exploration Outfitters), or, if you're attending Expo West, it will be in our booth. Kit is being installed on a new 2017 JKU build.

I'll also do a build thread in the Jeep forum.

Eagle05

Adventurer
To revive a thread from the dead, for those interested in actually finally seeing the Gazelle kit installed and on US soil, we took delivery today of the only kit ever imported to the US. Like our Facebook (Exploration Outfitters), or, if you're attending Expo West, it will be in our booth. Kit is being installed on a new 2017 JKU build.

I'll also do a build thread in the Jeep forum.

I think these are a pretty good looking set up. We recently put the Ursa Minor J30 on our JKU, but this would be nice and not require the awkward panel dance to get downstairs.

Good luck with it and please keep the info flowing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78