Gear and Tire Combos

Waytec

Adventurer
I am looking to get as much info as possible.
I am looking to go to 33x12.5 tiers. I plan on doing some long drives from central Alberta with the XJ (Ft. Mac, Vancouver Island, and possibly back to Ontario). I would like to get the best gear ratio that gives me a good, or as good as can be expected on road as well as off road capabilities. I will also be eventually pulling a trailer with the camping gear and supplies.

Oh ya I have a 4.0L. D30 front, C8.25 in the rear and both are going to be built and trusted.

Last edited:

XXXpedition

Explorer
i ran 33"s on mine and stuffed the diffs with 4.56 gears. that made for a good combo. i did a looooooot of long distance drives (LA-moab, LA-alaska, around australia) and used it as a daily driver...
worked great!
sven

tommudd

Explorer
My 95 automatic I had 33s and 4.56s worked great, had 4.88s for a while in it but was too much I thought better all around with the 4.56s

Waytec

Adventurer
Thank you everyone for the input. I think I will be going with the 4.56’s. That should give me the best on road, off road abilities and tow a trailer once it is built.

1leg

Explorer
I would 6th the 4:56, unless you were pulling a trailer all the time then i would go 4:88.

You might think about running 255/85, Might get you a little better MPG with all the long driving. 10inch vs 12.5 wide.

mrchips

Adventurer
4.88 gears and 33"Tires, manual 6 spd and I tow a Chaser. Really like the gearing as it gives me some pull on hills, and I only have to drop to 5 th to maintain 50 mph on hills going to and from the desert area. Was going to go 4.56, but glad i went this route. Low range crawl ratio has improved also.

Waytec

Adventurer
The issue is I can not get 4.88 for the Chrysler 8.25 and I have two of them. I was thinking of swapping a D44 into the rear but after looking into the price I will make the C8.25 work.
I have been talking to guys in the local Jeep clubs and all are saying that 33’s and 4.56 I will be laughing. One guy pulls a trailer behind his XJ through the northern BC mountains with the same setup and has no issues.

herdnerd

The issue is I can not get 4.88 for the Chrysler 8.25 and I have two of them. I was thinking of swapping a D44 into the rear but after looking into the price I will make the C8.25 work.
I have been talking to guys in the local Jeep clubs and all are saying that 33’s and 4.56 I will be laughing. One guy pulls a trailer behind his XJ through the northern BC mountains with the same setup and has no issues.

Nitro Gear has 4.88's available for the 8.25. Poke around at NAXJA for some info about them and feedback from those who have tried them.

Someone asked earlier if you have a manual or auto trans. That should be factored into you decision.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
IIRC there is at least one vendor/sponsor at NAXJA selling the 4.88s for the 8.25.

No need to swap in a Dana 44 unless an already built axle falls in your lap for a good price. PITA factor is not worth the one extra spline IMO. If you break a 8.25 you probably will break a Dana 44 as well.

If you are planning on using the truck more in the expedition style I'd suggest the 4.56 over the 4.88 unless you really need that little edge off-road. Ultimately we are only talking about a few hundred RPM difference at cruise (i.e. no big deal depending on your priorities).

$0.02

luk4mud

Explorer
If you ever think you might go to 35's later on, then think about the 4.88's now. Otherwise, if your stopping at 33's, the 4.56's are ideal in my view.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I'll chime in here be it late.

I use them with 31" and I tow a trailer. For your diving concerns, I would stick with the 4.56. 4.56 and 4.88 really isnt that big of a difference. I will add that 4.88 are avaiable as previously mentioned, but 4.56 would be butter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman