Gen-1 2006 Tundra mini-build

1TuffSR5

to live is to explore
Hello, new guy here. I like to start out by saying I love this board and the way it's run. Lot's of class acts on here. I love the builds and adventures that are chronicled. Now on to the truck....

I was in the market for a truck that I could daily drive, take on small excursions camping and semi-overlanding. I knew I wanted a Gen-1 Tundra (let's face it, they are great looking trucks) but not necessarily a 4WD. I had test driven a V8 2005 access cab 2WD and while it was nice, I really longed for a manual trans truck purely for the fact that I love to drive manual trans vehicles and that's all I've primarily owned. Well that left me with few options in the Gen-1 category. I did some research I decided that I needed to find an '05-'06 model with the 4.0/6MT. Well I finally found a really nice Phantom Gray 1 owner 2006 model with 101K miles on it and extremely clean. I went to drive it expecting to be let down in the power department when compared to the 4.7...I wasn't. The truck really moves out well for being a V6 which i'm sure can be attributed to the 6MT and that it was well cared for. My first tank returned 393 miles of mixed driving so I'm pleased. After having it for no more than a day I got the 2 front windows tinted and a tint strip across the windshield.. I then began to research what type of suspension I would need to meet the aforementioned goals I had in mind for the truck and settled on the Bilstein 5100's. I ordered those and a nice wheel/tire package. I also de-badged the sides, blackened the mirrors and grille and plan to de-badge the tailgate also. Sorry for the novel....on to the pics which came out surprisingly well considering that I took them with my phone (Samsung Galaxy SII)

Just purchased, stock height on 245/70-16 radials

007-1.jpg

windows tinted

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

de-badged, blackened grill and mirrors, Bilstein 5100's on the 4th notch from bottom, Pro Comp 16x8 7089/265/75-16 Cooper Discoverer ATP (ride great btw)

019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

021-2.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome and I plan to get a topper down the road and just enjoy my Tundy!!! Oh yeah, that is an ExPo sticker you spy on the rear window :)

Derek24

Explorer
Looks great. Nice color as well! Too bad they didn't offer the 4.0 with 6MT and 4WD, that would be a nice setup with the older Tundras. Even better a V8 4WD with a 6MT, but now I'm dreaming....Keep us posted!

Petrolburner

Explorer
Sweet Tundra, welcome to the board! There's not much I dislike about mine but the trans constantly downshifting for the slightest hill makes me long for a MT so I could open the throttle up in any gear I want.

Falkon

Adventurer
1TuffSR5 - How are those Coopers keeping? Pros/Cons? Driving conditions/style.

Any insight is appreciated, needign to replace my Cooper Zeon LTZ's, but I am all over the map!

dyogim

Explorer
Looks great. Nice color as well! Too bad they didn't offer the 4.0 with 6MT and 4WD, that would be a nice setup with the older Tundras. Even better a V8 4WD with a 6MT, but now I'm dreaming....Keep us posted!

Us V8'ers can at least have a manual transfer case......;)

Great start 1TuffSR5!!!

1TuffSR5

to live is to explore
Been a little over a year since I got my Tundra and all is still well with it. Just did the squeaky throw out bearing fix with parts from URD.com and did a clutch while it was apart. Stock clutch still looked great despite having 118.5k on it. the Coopers are holding up well which is attributed to regular rotations and I've changed the plugs which were the factory mismatched Denso/NGK's. Other than that just oil/filter and fluid changes and frequent trips to the back country and she's holding up like a champ. The tire guys always get a kick out of seeing a manual trans Tundra which is cool I guess. Soon I may try some 285/75-16's and AAL and see how I like that setup. As of now it's still 5100's up front, blocks out back. Yes it's a 2wd and No I've not gotten stuck anywhere. As many on here know, good tires + good driver often = go anywhere-ness ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger