Gen 1 Purchasing Dilemma

jcmaz

Hey folks! I've been a long time lurker of this forum from Vancouver BC. I've always been a Mitsubishi fan, coming from a family with a history of owning Mitsubishi vehicles - 2008 Lancer, 2012 RVR, 2001 Dion. Here's my 2005 Lancer Ralliart.

Instgram---SE-Marine-Dr-RA.jpg

I'm looking for some guidance for a potential purchase for a Gen 1 Monty because I want a capable truck that can take me to places my Ralliart can't. I consider myself as a novice wrencher. I can do stuff like swapping brakes... basic stuff like that.

Just a bit of background info, Gen 1 and 2 Monteros are rare in Canada and don't go on sale in the used market often. I've always liked how capable and overbuilt they are from the factory.

Recently, a Gen 1 Monty popped up for sale on Vancouver Island with a couple faults for $1000. Now I haven't been able to check it out since it's across the Strait of Georgia. I chatted with the owner on the phone and she said they owned the vehicle for the past 7 years and got it serviced at a local mechanic shop. The owner sent me some photos. There is no visible rust on the body and the interior looks mint for a 25+ year old truck.

My questions are, for a novice wrench like me, is this a project that can be tackled with limited mechanical capability? I have basic automotive tools such as wrenches, jacks, etc...

Are there any specific points that I should look out for when checking out this truck?

If you were in my shoes, what would you do and why?

Ad is in the quotes below.

Great 4x4 vehicle. Cracked radiator. Running condition, leaks oil. if you keep an eye on on the fluids-- this vehicle will do you well. Great for the bush. Doesn't have the white box on the roof (as pictured). V6. 4 door, automatic windows, 5 passenger. 308380 Miles on the body, rebuilt engine.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1990-Mitsubishi-Montero_29104544

59226615_934.jpg

59226559_934.jpg

jaccox23

Adventurer
I consider myself a novice wrencher also. Before my monty brakes and maybe a GM water pump (easiest water pump to replace in my opinion) were the extent of my knowledge. I purchased a '99 montero and so far I've done a timing belt, water pump (pain in the *** compared to GM engines), lash adjusters, valve stem seals, all rubber seals front back top, spark plugs and wires, brakes, wheel bearings, all steering components, a heater core (poor design on the 97-00) all by myself. Now what you're gonna get with the first gen 3.0 is a 12V easy as pie engine to wrench on and you couldn't kill it if you wanted to. I'm serious the 12V engines are so simple compared to the 24V. If there is no visible rust and a history of maintenance i'd say pull the trigger. Just remember you will have to wrench its inevitable on a vehicle that age, but i can promise aside from maybe a couple sockets you may have to purchase and maybe a crank spanner (which can be made for a few bucks) you can do anything to these vehicles with limited tools and knowledge.
PS. oil leaks are likely some form of rubber that could be replaced in a couple hours and as for the radiator being cracked if it is the original brass radiator it can be easily repaired and then cleaned out by a professional shop for less than an aftermarket radiator.

The mitsu Gen 1 is a simple rig. loaded with potential. its comfortable, roomy and easy to work on. but you will be working on it a fair amount; nothing like a range rover or a mercedes, but a fair amount just cause they are old.
door hinges, squeaky seats, gauge lights interior lights. loose and leaky hoses. little stuff. the v6 3. liter 12 valve is simplicity itself and the chrysler minivan engine from certain years bolts in. my 3.o had a lot of power and im very comfortable with its performance.
transmissions are nearly perfect . comfort is absolute. my rig has two suspension seats; never feel a bump again.

rear bushings will need to be replaced. lieklly you will have to do front suspension work, and the engines have weak spots that will need attention. overall the very best bang for the loonie.

last ; this is important
you will be the hippest cat in the neighborhood.

so damn few of these around and fewer in a running condition .

wish i could upload photos ; i've got the second baddest gen 1 on this site after OSO.

PM sent

jcmaz

Now what you're gonna get with the first gen 3.0 is a 12V easy as pie engine to wrench on and you couldn't kill it if you wanted to. I'm serious the 12V engines are so simple compared to the 24V. If there is no visible rust and a history of maintenance i'd say pull the trigger. Just remember you will have to wrench its inevitable on a vehicle that age, but i can promise aside from maybe a couple sockets you may have to purchase and maybe a crank spanner (which can be made for a few bucks) you can do anything to these vehicles with limited tools and knowledge.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's great to know these 6g72 engines are bulletproof given up to date maintenance

The mitsu Gen 1 is a simple rig. loaded with potential. its comfortable, roomy and easy to work on. but you will be working on it a fair amount; nothing like a range rover or a mercedes, but a fair amount just cause they are old.
door hinges, squeaky seats, gauge lights interior lights. loose and leaky hoses. little stuff. the v6 3. liter 12 valve is simplicity itself and the chrysler minivan engine from certain years bolts in. my 3.o had a lot of power and im very comfortable with its performance.
transmissions are nearly perfect . comfort is absolute. my rig has two suspension seats; never feel a bump again.

rear bushings will need to be replaced. lieklly you will have to do front suspension work, and the engines have weak spots that will need attention. overall the very best bang for the loonie.

last ; this is important
you will be the hippest cat in the neighborhood.

so damn few of these around and fewer in a running condition .

wish i could upload photos ; i've got the second baddest gen 1 on this site after OSO.

PM sent

Hahaha indeed a gen 1 Monty would stand out so much in Vancouver, a city filled with all sorts of BMW/Mercedes/Audi. Btw, PM replied!

So the casual search for gen 1 Monty continues. There's a couple of 2.6L swb ones but they aren't my thing. V6 and lwb is the jam!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78