Gen 1 Tundra Alternators

PaintRock

Adventurer
It looks like the factory 130 amp alternator is finally going to die, after 13 years. Has anyone replaced one recently? It's obviously a simple job to replace, I'm just wondering if there is a known source for OEM or better quality alternators for these rigs. The autozone rebuilt one doesn't inspire confidence (I'm not knocking autozone, they're good guys here, I just like to upgrade or at least keep my junk at factory quality, if possible).

PaintRock

Adventurer
Haha, simple job... I totally jinxed myself with that comment. If I ever run across a Toyota engineer during my travels, something might come out of me, just sayin. The nut on the end of this stud has fused itself. It took me four hours to get the stud to turn enough so the rear threads would come loose from the block.

Maybe that is why the local Toyota stealership quoted me three hours of labor for a total cost of $850.00!!!!!

River19

Observer
I'm convinced I should dip my 2001 tundra in a swimming pool of PB Blaster every Spring......every simple job (most recently brakes and shocks) turns into 3hrs for a 10min nut removal or 3 days recovering things from a botched nut removal.....

In New England damn near everything on my Toyota corrodes and fuses into "things which resemble bolts but are in fact one unit"......

I now know to heat the piss out of everything that I can and start there.

BTW, am I reading this correctly on Toyotapartsdirect.....OEM for the 4.7L is $672 for the part alone?

Last edited:

PaintRock

Adventurer
I found OEM 130 amp alternators online for $330.00. I'd have gone that route if I had known how long it was going to take me to replace the current one. I was trying to salvage my weekend, lol, that didn't work out so well. Now, however, the issue is finding the stud pictured above. The local Toyota parts guys can't seem to find it in their computers. I currently have the alternator running on just the two bolts :sombrero:

So, if any of you expert Toyota guys can tell me a part number for that, I would truly appreciate it. My next option is to rig something up with some all-thread and a few nuts, I guess...

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Think you need a new parts guy.
Part No.90068-04001
Replaced By90068-04019

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaintRock

Adventurer
Yea Toyotech, that looks like the right part. I talked to the parts guy and after looking at the diagram, he thinks I would need four of them since there is a number "4" in parentheses after the part number 😐.

I am going to just re-use the old one, I was concerned the threads were a little too mangled to re-use, but I think it will be fine.

Now that I won't be in a rush to fix it, I'll probably inspect all the wiring as well, and soak the whole rig down in penetrating oil for the next thing that breaks. It's getting to the age and mileage where little things are going to start to wear out (even if it IS a Toyota).

Thanks for the help!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
There is 4 total but only one is needed for the alternator. If you ever done a t belt. You know there are 3 more else where for other parts. Just order the one and there is a part number for the nut as well. Who knew Toyota parts guys are hard to come by. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaintRock

Adventurer
Ah, that makes sense. Oh well, live and learn. Now I have to take it all apart again just to put that bolt back in. It should be a lot easier this time...

I use a rebuilding service for all my starter and alternator needs. Last year I had a Tacoma alternator modified to 170 amps and it was under $200.

If you're willing to be without an alternator for a few days, take the time and give this guy a call. And really, their turnaround time is impressive.

Boyle Future Technology  
12325 Locksley Ln, Auburn, CA 95602
Phone: (530) 888-6290

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears