Gen 2.5: Diamante engine swap?

BEG

Adventurer
My '00 suffered a failed tensioner which led to a broken cam dowel pin and what I assume to be unspeakable damage to the valves. I need to fix it fast and cheap so I'm considering just swapping a used running engine in for the time being. There are plenty of Montero and Montero Sport 3.5 engines available but the Diamante engines are even more plentiful and a lot cheaper.

From what I've read, the Diamante 6g74 has a forged bottom end and slightly more horsepower with peak torque coming in later in the RPM range. However, the cam profiles are the same. The difference is in the cam sprockets and intake. So the real challenge would be going from a FWD application to RWD. Has anyone used a Diamante block in a Montero? What kind of issues should I expect? I know a straight swap from another Montero would be easiest but the price difference is about half for a Diamante engine, so I'd really like to see if it can be made to work. Thanks.

PacS14

Adventurer
Fast and cheap=another montero engine

Slow and more work=Diamante engine

That is of course if you do all the work yourself. The moment you hire someone to do it for you the Montero engine will still be the more viable option time and money wise.

BEG

Adventurer
Fast and cheap=another montero engine

Slow and more work=Diamante engine

That is of course if you do all the work yourself. The moment you hire someone to do it for you the Montero engine will still be the more viable option time and money wise.

I would be doing the work myself. I understand the Montero is easiest, but not the cheapest nor most available engine in my location. Whether or not any additional time and effort required to do the Diamante swap is worth the savings is what I aim to find out. But for that I need some specifics.

plh

Explorer
Hyundai Santa Fe? But yea I see there are lots of Diamante engines cheap(er) on car-part

holykel

Hi BEG! Just wondering if you have ended up going to this Diamante direction? I have the same issue with my Gen 2 and am also thinking of using a Diamante block instead of the Montero 3.5 since I wasn't able to find one near me...

My '00 suffered a failed tensioner which led to a broken cam dowel pin and what I assume to be unspeakable damage to the valves. I need to fix it fast and cheap so I'm considering just swapping a used running engine in for the time being. There are plenty of Montero and Montero Sport 3.5 engines available but the Diamante engines are even more plentiful and a lot cheaper.

From what I've read, the Diamante 6g74 has a forged bottom end and slightly more horsepower with peak torque coming in later in the RPM range. However, the cam profiles are the same. The difference is in the cam sprockets and intake. So the real challenge would be going from a FWD application to RWD. Has anyone used a Diamante block in a Montero? What kind of issues should I expect? I know a straight swap from another Montero would be easiest but the price difference is about half for a Diamante engine, so I'd really like to see if it can be made to work. Thanks.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
These engines are very different, unlike the Gen 1 3.0 and early Diamante 3.0 which are largely the same. The Diamante 3.5 would need everything swapped over, bosses tapped and distributor addressed (yes they still ran a dizzy). There are way easier swaps, late model Sports are plentiful and even the Endeavor 3.8 which could gain a few horsepower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78