Gen 2.5 Stereo Setups

dorifto-san

Creeper
I recently picked up another Montero (I've owned a 95 SR, 89' Raider, 87' SWB Montero) and this time I am actually going to do something with the stereo in my 98' Gen 2.5. I plan on replacing the head unit, big 3 upgrade, all speakers, wiring, and adding an 8inch subwoofer (not your momma's subwoofer). I'm not looking to shake windows or setoff car alarms, I am actually doing my best to minimize the space used in the back for the sub.
What kind of setups are you guys running in your rigs?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Would love to see what you come up with for the sub. I bought a bazooka base tube, with the idea of mounting it vertically in the rear corner, but never really figured a way to secure it. To work properly, the (down firing) speaker needs to be a few inches off the floor, which means the entire weight is on the plastic bulkhead. Not adequate, so it's sits in the box unused.

dorifto-san

Creeper
I am torn between doing a pre-fab box and doing a custom enclosure. If I go pre-fab I am going to set it up with quick disconnects so I can pull it out when we go camping and I need to put the sleeping platform in. If I custom build an enclusure, I need to make sure it won't interfere with the removal/install of the sleeping platform. I'm not worried about the amp though, it's tiny and I can pretty much hide it anywhere.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_71776_NVX-MVPA1.html

I am not planning on amplifying the rest of the speakers because the headunit I am using has a fairly powerful internal amplifier and I don't play my music at ear splitting levels. The amplified subwoofer alone will add up the dB my ears are missing.

I'll do a write up when I start this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman