Gen 2.5 vs Gen 3 pros/cons, common problems?

96LTDrus

Observer
Sorry if this has already been covered (probably has, but search function didn't find anything for me).

I'm currently selling my 1996 4Runner and am looking to get into something a bit larger and more comfortable. I've narrowed things down to either a Gen 2.5 or Gen 3 Montero.

So far I've test driven a few gen 3s, they are much more common around here in Indianapolis than gen 2/2.5. Both had very similar issues: oil leaks on the back of the head (valve cover gasket/'half-moon' rubber pieces?) , and a rumble in 5th gear at 40-50 mph (wrong ATF type causing TC issues?). These issues and a 4wd vacuum solenoid getting stuck and causing the 4wd lights to flash and not engage the front axle are what I've heard of on the 3rd gens. I think I've also heard something about the fuel gauge reading faulty. Are there any other common known issues with these trucks? Is the torque converter rumble easily remedied by swapping in the correct Mitsu fluid?

Onto gen 2.5s, I have yet to test drive one, but i like the relative simplicity of the 4spd automatic and solid rear axle, along with having a real frame and optional rear locker. Do these generally have fewer fiddly issues than the gen 3s? Or is that assumption incorrect? Are they less picky with fluids for the transmission and rear axle?

I really love the way the gen 3 rides and handles on the road, I could see myself taking long road trips in one. Also, they are easier to find with lower miles. However the shape and construction of the 2.5 really speaks to me.

Opinions or input? Again, sorry if I'm rehashing old stuff, feel free to direct me to older threads!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat- I'm looking to replace our Odyssey with a 2.5 or early 3. While I know they're well built and can run well towards 300k miles, I'm leery about buying someones maintenance back-log with a higher mileage truck.
The 2001-2002 XLS models are a compromise- simple Aisin automatic, similar to what's in just about every 4-speed auto Toyota. They have a simple, manual shift t-case, but no SS4- so no full-time 4wd option. Otherwise here're some of my pros and cons for each:
G2.5:
Pro: Solid rear axle + available locker= more better off road. That said, since the selection is small, finding a good one WITH a locker takes diligence and luck.
Con: The suspension is made to go pretty much anywhere in the world, and on the road, it can feel that way, too.
Pro: Bigger 3rd row seat. The seats are are damn near to the rear door, so it makes the most of the space if you need to carry 7 adults once in a while. They still won't be happy back there, but it beats walking (but not Walkin- that guy's awesome)
Con: very little room for cargo with the 3rd row in use.
Pro: Sliding windows in the cargo area- if you haul dogs, they get their own window to stick their heads out of.
Pro: Metal bumpers, at least the centers.
Pro: Huge safari-style sunroof.
Pro: Old-school rain gutters- makes adding roof racks simple and cheap.
Con: Age. Especially here in the northern Midwest, the rusty tooth of time marches on. Less of a problem for those (or trucks from) the South, the West, and especially the South-west.
Pro: BoF construction makes mods underneath simple.
Con: BoF construction puts the CG up higher
Gen3:
Pro: Rallycar suspension. As long a the stock-type shocks aren't smoked, they drive really nice and handle washboard better than the older trucks. Suspension options seem to be various Australian set-ups, but also some high-zoot stuff like King resi-shocks.
Pro: The IRS makes the cargo floor lower, getting stuff in/out is easier, especially for small people.
Con: The 3rd row seats are tight- but probably big enough to haul some neighbor kids to the waterpark.
Pro: Even with the 3rd row in use, there is a surprising amount of cargo space back there, especially with the storage well that the 3rd row stows into. If you can leave that 3rd row at home, you have "basement" storage, great for stuff you don't need as often.
Con: the 2001-2002 XLS models have a part-time 4wd system, so no set/forget AWD
Pro: the 2001-2002 XLS models have a manual shift part-time 4wd system, so there's less electronic wizardry to fail.
Pro: 2001-2002 models have an optional LSD, which works very well. Later models have a traction control system that receives high praises from many users.
Con: Some have neither.
Pro: Uni-body construction means the whole body is very rigid, resisting squeaks ad rattles in the long run.
Con: Uni-body construction requires you to put your thinking cap on when it comes to bolting stuff to the chassis, like hitches, bumpers and winches.
In all, I think I'm going to seek approval from the house[hold] finance committee, and hope to look at some Gen3's this month.

Last edited:

96LTDrus

Observer
Awesome summary of pro/cons! I hadn't really considered the early 3rd gen XLS models, that is an interesting compromise. I like the simple 4spd automatic, is it the same as second gen trucks, and are both infact Aisin units? I like the Aisin in my 4runner, not picky with fluid, shifts can sometimes be abrupt but never feels like it slips and feels rock solid in general. Manual transfer case is also a plus for sure.

The sliding rear windows are infact a big selling point for my (and my gf), we have two dogs between the two of us and like to bring them on various trips.

Anybody have sage advice regarding the nitty-gritty mechanical bits? I've found a well maintained 1997 LS with 180k miles that's been in the same family for 16 years, no obvious rust perforations on the photos. Where do they start rusting first? I'm told this one has just a bit on the windshield pillar but nowhere else on the body (supposedly). Also found a 1999 at a dealer with 170+k miles that looks clean and has the winter package, but no word on its maintenance history.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
As with most vehicles- they rust in the rear wheel wells. The LS will have the smaller 3.0L V6 and smaller rear axles. If you can make the right deal on the 99, I'd go that route. Mean time, I'm looking at this one-http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/136632977/overview/#1
Going to Chicago is easy from here.

96LTDrus

Observer
As with most vehicles- they rust in the rear wheel wells. The LS will have the smaller 3.0L V6 and smaller rear axles. If you can make the right deal on the 99, I'd go that route. Mean time, I'm looking at this one-http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/136632977/overview/#1
Going to Chicago is easy from here.

Now I was under the impression that 1997 was the transition year where the LS got the SOHC 3.5 and the same axles as the 98-2000 trucks but without the 'winter package' locker. Can anyone confirm either way?

That XLS looks great! I'm actually also looking as far as Chicago coincidentally, it seems chock full of 3rd gens (mostly ragged out Limiteds) but the gen 2 and 2.5 are thin on the ground. I'd rather buy something from Kentucky with less/no rust, but there really isn't much to choose from.

96LTDrus

Observer
Got a few photos of the '97, it's got a bit of rust near the windshield corner... is this a common thing on Northern trucks?

20140807_190246.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Our Gen III ('02) Limited has worked great for our family.
Outstanding road trip vehicle with comfort on the highway and solid, dependable off road performance.
The five speed (super-select) auto. transmission is bullet proof when maintained correctly.
The AWD option on these rigs can be set and forgot about.
The only con for me is the underpowered 3.5L engine...the later model Gen. III is a bit better with a 3.8L.
Good luck with your search.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
The 97 LS did come with a 3.5L . I just sold my 97 LS a couple of months ago . I currently have a 96 SR and the power feels about the same.
I do like the gearing on the 97 LS better. Overall you cant go wrong with an LS unless your going to go in very challanging trails often. Maintenance is key.
I've taken the LS in all kinds of weather and in all kinds of situations in Texas and Colorado and It's never let me down. It does lack the rear locker but I've honestly never needed.
That said I like to know my 96 SR has the locker if I need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998