Gen 2 axle upgrade

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Finally got a new axle housing to start my axle upgrade, going with 30 spline Longfield joints should solve my current problem of grenading CV joints every outing.

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0719.jpg

I'll be using Gen 2 Montero trailing arms as radius arms for my front suspension and either coilovers or ORI struts depending on what i can get a good deal on.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Finally got a new axle housing to start my axle upgrade, going with 30 spline Longfield joints should solve my current problem of grenading CV joints every outing.

I'll be using Gen 2 Montero trailing arms as radius arms for my front suspension and either coilovers or ORI struts depending on what i can get a good deal on.

^I think he mentioned this^

this thread will be epic.

Are you planning on using coils or leafs?

Toasty

I have most of the parts, i need to save up for spindles, high steer, 4.88 gear kit and hardware to complete the axle. For suspension i plan to use brackets from Ballistic fab, they are reasonably priced against buying plate and making them myself.
I'll modify the stock drive shaft at first and once the SAS is done and bugs driven out i'll start saving up for a new transfer case. I sold the Aussie Crawler T-case, but i won't be able to get a new T case for a while i need to sell some stuff or hopefully use my tax return to get a tumor removed from my dog here soon so i can get back on track with my projects.

Way excited!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If I don't beat you to it, it should be first sas'd 2.5gen in US...yes?

Don't put those kinds of ideas in my head, I might beat him to it if I wasn't determined to keep mine IFS and my wife loving how it rides. I tossed around a few ideas and even looked at spots to mount spring perches if I ever go down this road.

Toasty

If I don't beat you to it, it should be first sas'd 2.5gen in US...yes?

Probably, i have yet to see any Gen 2 SAS'd in the US. Someone should beat me to being first though, it would be nice to see more Gen 2's swapped. I'm actually surprised Cap510 hasn't SAS'd his rig yet, i think if he lived closer it would be done already OR he has secretly hacked off his suspension without telling anyone...

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I know there are Montero Sports here with SAS, but I don't know about regular Monteros. How are you grenading CV's on every trip?! Are you running things like The Hammers every time you go out or what?!

Toasty

I'm running low profile bumpstops and a front locker, we all swapped to lo profile or hacked bumpstops way back in the early 2000's and it's been a non stop CV and TRE destruction fest since. When we were on the Rubicon we noticed we didn't break one CV or tierod (we were running a stock IFS setup with full bumpstops) then on Dusy
Cap510 only bent a draglink and he was running 37's with a locker but he also only has stock IFS with full bumpstops and even a sway bar. lordtrunks here also went up to 37's and at the same time he went back to stock suspension minus a sway bar and he's had no issues.

Our trails out here are mostly rock or big boulder fields, but i did break two CV's the last time on loose dirt so...

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Yikes. well, at least I know what spares I need to carry. lol! I have the low pro bumps and love the added travel, and while I'm still open, I plan to get an Aussie locker for the front.

When on the longer/harder trips, I'll probably carry CV axles, tie rods and a drag link just in case. At least they have a lifetime warranty! ;)

Toasty

I was going to go back to stock but my nearly new OEM UCA's have bent upper shafts. Unlucky...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12