Gen 2 LS gear ratios, motor and other questions

mapper

Explorer
I continue to think through options for my, physically but not mechanically, wrecked gen 2.5.

Most Monteros I see for sale locally are Gen 2 LS models. Couple of questions come up.

Anyone know what gear ratios they come with. Obviously I have all the running gear necessary for a 4.2 with rear locker swap. Seem to be reading that LS models come standard with 4.2 gears. True? If not, what ratio? Can my locker be readily swapped to a different gear ratio?

Which motor, 3.5 DOHC? or 3.0? (I think this is year dependent)

Brake/suspension differences? Will my parts readily swap over. Guessing anything I buy will need brake/suspension refresh (which I recently did on my truck) swapping my barely used parts will save $$ over buying new parts.

I'm sure a lot of this has been covered and I've poked around trying to find answers, but there really isn't too much definitive discussion on the LS model trucks and I thought it might be best to aggregate my questions into a single thread.

Thanks crew!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
All 97-00 models came with the 3.5 SOHC and 4.2 gears no matter the trim level, and yes everything will swap over.

mapper

Explorer
Thanks Jeep-N. Sould mention that I am also curious on older model gen 2 Monteros.

I know you keep an eye out locally, if you see anything looking good that you aren't interested in LMK. I'd like to hold out for white (or another light color) and gen 2.5 but won't be picky if I find a nice truck that needs a little TLC.

Eric M

Adventurer
Older LS models will have the 3.0, I believe all with the 4.88 gearing. You can confirm the gearing and engine with the placard in the engine bay.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks Jeep-N. Sould mention that I am also curious on older model gen 2 Monteros.

I know you keep an eye out locally, if you see anything looking good that you aren't interested in LMK. I'd like to hold out for white (or another light color) and gen 2.5 but won't be picky if I find a nice truck that needs a little TLC.

The older LS had the 3.0, and although a little gutless they were more reliable than the DOHC 3.5 of the same vintage and were non-interference engines if I recall correctly, plus you can find them in a manual on occasion. When they redesigned/improved the 3.5 for 97 they decided to just put it in all trim levels. Lately I have been toying with the idea of a Gen 3 with the 3.8 for my wife, the more I read about that traction control system the more attractive it becomes.

Eric M

Adventurer
Only the 12 valve 6G72s are non-interfence. In 1994 the LS got the 24 valve which is interference.

scrubber3

Not really here
My 95 LS had 4.62 gear ratio before I swapped to the SR difs IIRC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mapper

Explorer
Lately I have been toying with the idea of a Gen 3 with the 3.8 for my wife, the more I read about that traction control system the more attractive it becomes.

This is another option I've been considering. Thinking I could ditch my Volvo and pick up a gen 3. Seems we are always looking for the same vehicles at the same time in the same town!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
This is another option I've been considering. Thinking I could ditch my Volvo and pick up a gen 3. Seems we are always looking for the same vehicles at the same time in the same town!

Wife really wants a Subaru so we will see, trying to downsize from 5 vehicles to 3 or 4.

mapper

Explorer
Only the 12 valve 6G72s are non-interfence. In 1994 the LS got the 24 valve which is interference.

So 94 to 97 LS got the 3.0 DOHC or the 3.5 DOHC?

You mentioned early LS had the 4.88 gearing. Did that also switch in 94?

I felt bad asking these questions but it seems, generally, there is not as clear an understanding what was in the LS models as there is on the SR/gen 2.5 models.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

I felt bad asking these questions but it seems, generally, there is not as clear an understanding what was in the LS models as there is on the SR/gen 2.5 models.

None of the LS models ever came stock with the 3.5 DOHC, the 3.5 SOHC came in 97-00.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had a unicorn a while ago. It was a 94 LS with a manual tranny, 3.0L motor, and a very rare optional rear locker. Can't remember what the gearing was, but 4.88 sounds righ, but that's an old, unreliable memory. I never found another LS with a locker. Had the orange sticker and everything. Definatetly a factory item.

Maintainence on the engine was easy once I learned it was a Chrysler motor, which greatly reduced the cost in sourcing parts! It was pretty gutless compared to my 3.5 SOHC, but with the manual it was fine and still fun to drive.

Eric M

Adventurer

94-96 would be the DOHC 3.0L in the LS. There's probably a unicorn, but most that I've seen in my search had the 4.875 axle ratio. Would make sense since the more powerful 3.5L DOHC got the 4.63.

plh

Explorer
Maintainence on the engine was easy once I learned it was a Chrysler motor, which greatly reduced the cost in sourcing parts!

Would be more accurate to state that it is a Mitsubishi motor that Chrysler also used in some vehicles. Its NOT a Chrysler motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears