Gen 2 - Slow power windows

All-Terrain

No Road Required
My front power windows are really slow ('97 SR). Are yours too, or do I need to get my door panels off and get after the regulators?

Anyone already done so? I'm guessing they're clogged up with dirt, and need some lube....?

Evo666

Observer
Try using liquid wrench to free it up. Mine was actually stuck at one point and I thought it was bad motor or switch. I was told over time the rubber seal gets hard over time.

Sent from my Samsung Note II

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Try using liquid wrench to free it up. Mine was actually stuck at one point and I thought it was bad motor or switch. I was told over time the rubber seal gets hard over time.

Sent from my Samsung Note II

Thanks. Did you pull the door panels to do so? If so, is there a DIY somewhere on removing the panels? Don't want to break something back there.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
To remove the panels first remove the little black sail panel on the top. You can just pry it off with a plastic pry tool or a tape wrapped flathead.
There are two screws behind the little round covers on the door pull , one screw behind the little plastic cover behind the door opening handle , couple of push in clips on the forward part of the door panel. This is the top half of the door. Bottom half of the door is just plastic clips on the backside of the panel. It just unsnaps off. I get it started with a little plastic pry tool and pull it by hand the rest of the way.
Once its all undone lift it upwards.
Done

plh

Explorer
I did mine in the '93 this past weekend. Door panels come off easy. You might want to think about replacing speakers at the same time. My foam was shot, so replaced with some pioneers. Lube up the rubber window guides with a liberal application of silicon spray and the center cable mechanism with white lithium spray. I think the silicon did the most help. Work good (and tunes are better) now.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Thanks!

What speakers did you replace the stock ones with? Model # etc?

Also, I assume there's a vapor barrier/plastic sheet behind the door panel - how is it attached? A bead of adhesive? Did you re-furb that bead as well?

JamesW

Adventurer
I have a small spray can of rubber and nylon lubricant,and I spray it up the runners on the sides of the windows,and run the windows up and down a few times,and it seems to do the trick,takes about a minute to do. Try that before going at the regulators,I've only seen 1 regulator go,and every other time it has been the felt runners gone dry. Just mind your elbow off them for the first couple of days

plh

Explorer
Thanks!

What speakers did you replace the stock ones with? Model # etc?

Also, I assume there's a vapor barrier/plastic sheet behind the door panel - how is it attached? A bead of adhesive? Did you re-furb that bead as well?

I replaced the stock speakers with these: Kenwood KFC-1365S 2-Way 5-1/4" Flush Mount Car Stereo Speakers in my '92 and these in the '93 Pioneer - 5-1/4" 2-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones Model: TS-G1344R. Both fit fine. They are cheap speakers.

I pealed off all the old interior door dust guard plastic as it was pretty crisp. Saves as much of the black gummy adhesive as possible, then replaced with some thick sheet plastic and reinforced with "Gorilla" brand duck tape where needed.

Also in the '92 I recently replaced the stock radio with this Kenwood unit: KMM-BT308U Digital media receiver and Metra 70-1743 Wiring Harness. Dash speakers I used these: Kenwood KFC-1065S 4" 2-way Coaxial Car Stereo Speakers and in the rear Kenwood KFC-6965S 6x9" 3-way. Sounds considerably better than the 20+ year old stock setup, plus now I have bluetooth phone integration, pandora, iheart etc. A little more than $200 bucks (amazon) and a Saturday afternoon to install. Well worth the effort.

For the dash speakers in the '93 I bought these Alpine Type-S SPS-410 4" Coaxial 2-Way Car Audio Speakers. They arrived today, will install tomorrow night. Look more robust than the Kenwoods and slightly more expensive.

Last edited:

D4782

Observer
I can second (or third) the advice to lube up the runners. I did mine with a graphite lubricant. I've been told you can just run a pencil up and down the runner and that will do the trick....not so sure about that. I had the panels off doing speakers as well so I cleaned up the motor and switch for the window with electrical contact cleaner while I was there.
I replaced my speakers as well. Took a bit of modification to the pod that houses the stock speakers, but I fit in a set of 6.5" Silver flute w17rc38-08. These are run in series with a LPG 25NFA tweeter that has a simple single-capacitor passive crossover. The tweeter is mounted to the sail panel, with double sided foam outdoor mounting tape. So if I ever need to, I can take it off and sell the vehicle and you can't tell I was even there. The capacitor tucks behind the sail panel. Didn't take too long, sounds a treat now. Very crisp and detailed throughout.
Good luck on getting those windows going.

Edit: It's worth noting that if you don't want the hassle of altering the speaker baskets to fit, the silver flute's come in a 5.25" set up as well. W13....something something something. Great speakers for the price. Do a little search of them and you'll come up with many people singing their praises. For good reason. And the LPG tweeters I used are no longer in production (though there are still a few places you can find them) but there are many other options.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman