Gen 3 Beds

arb098

Adventurer
Hey folks,

I'm drawing up a couple different designs for an interior bed platform for my Gen 3. I've seen or read about a bunch of different ones that you guys have all done, so I figured I'd ask y'all a couple questions.

First: What kind of design did you go for? Function, comfort, look, all three? Pics are greatly appreciated on this one! Lol
Second: What materials did you use? PVC Pipes, steel frames, plywood?
Third: Now that you've built your platform is there anything that you'd change or do different?

Thanks, guys!

Monty85

Observer
Hey arb098

I just shared info on the bed I made here. Mine was simple plywood based design. Check it out here for pics http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/174946-Shizen-s-Gen3-camper-build

To answer your Qs

1. I went for simple design with enough headroom.
My aim was to be able to swap between seat and bed easily. I can pull out the seats and put in bed in 10 min.
Initially thought of making pull out drawers and stuff like you see on many overlanders but it was too much work for me.
Also my setup gives me flexibility on the size of stuff I can put underneath.

2. Plywood

3. I would add a foldable section on the back, so that I can use it as table while standing outside. It helps a lot when I have to cook.
If not, I would atleast make the rear section also foldable to get easy access to trunk/third seat area.

573b19c9ecba5e589368e43c2de3d821.jpg

arb098

Adventurer
Hey arb098

I just shared info on the bed I made here. Mine was simple plywood based design. Check it out here for pics http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/174946-Shizen-s-Gen3-camper-build

To answer your Qs

1. I went for simple design with enough headroom.
My aim was to be able to swap between seat and bed easily. I can pull out the seats and put in bed in 10 min.
Initially thought of making pull out drawers and stuff like you see on many overlanders but it was too much work for me.
Also my setup gives me flexibility on the size of stuff I can put underneath.

2. Plywood

3. I would add a foldable section on the back, so that I can use it as table while standing outside. It helps a lot when I have to cook.
If not, I would atleast make the rear section also foldable to get easy access to trunk/third seat area.

573b19c9ecba5e589368e43c2de3d821.jpg

It's funny, I had just finished reading your thread when I posted this. I liked your set up a lot, and it seems to be similar to what I'm planning. Although, yours looks to be fairly low to the floor, which does give you a grea t amount of headroom, but we'll be storing all our luggage underneath. So, I'll definitely have to go a bit higher.

Are you having issues accessing the third row area with it that low?

Also, what thickness of plywood did you use?

Monty85

Observer
It's funny, I had just finished reading your thread when I posted this. I liked your set up a lot, and it seems to be similar to what I'm planning. Although, yours looks to be fairly low to the floor, which does give you a grea t amount of headroom, but we'll be storing all our luggage underneath. So, I'll definitely have to go a bit higher.

Are you having issues accessing the third row area with it that low?

Also, what thickness of plywood did you use?

Lol thats funny. Thanks for checking out the thread.
Yes I kept it low for the headroom and also it flushes with the interior panel. This way I have access to cupholder to put little stuff when I sleep.
My mattress is also only about 2~2.5in thick so that helps with headroom.

Plywood I used is 5/8'' thick and it is 8'' high from the floor.

I did not have issue with access at all but figured it would be more flexible. if anything, my whole platform is so light that I can just lift the whole thing and reach in.
There was time I even fit cooler box underneath in third row seat area.

arb098

Adventurer
Lol thats funny. Thanks for checking out the thread.
Yes I kept it low for the headroom and also it flushes with the interior panel. This way I have access to cupholder to put little stuff when I sleep.
My mattress is also only about 2~2.5in thick so that helps with headroom.

Plywood I used is 5/8'' thick and it is 8'' high from the floor.

I did not have issue with access at all but figured it would be more flexible. if anything, my whole platform is so light that I can just lift the whole thing and reach in.
There was time I even fit cooler box underneath in third row seat area.

I like the idea of having more headroom, but since my fiance and I are using this as our mobile home for about 4 months, I think I'm going to have to sacrifice the headroom for storage area.

I am, however, considering two different designs, but I think I'm leaning towards the second design.

Anyone got any advice or comments?

Design Idea.jpg

arb098

Adventurer
I also think second design is better since it gives you more access to stuff underneath.

Coo. I'm also now thinking about building it using 1" thick square, metal tubing instead of wood. I think the space I'd save would be worth the extra weight. I would design is similar to a bed frame with legs and such.

Thoughts?

Monty85

Observer
As long as it is not steel tube .
My friend made one like your design for 4runner using aluminum and its light. Also he used much thinner plywood for platform. Overall size is also smaller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears