Gen 3 ... Door unlocks itself

Monty85

Observer
Hello ,

I am having issue with my 2001 Montero since the day I bought it.
I would lock the door with remote or by lock button on the door and it unlocks itself randomly.

Cannot figure out the root cause. Has anyone had this problem ?

When I search, it is the exact opposite problem that I see people are having.

I was checking on FSM but could not find much information.
If you have wiring diagram, it would be helpful.

Thanks!

bugshield

Right after locking or later? Maybe the actuator can't complete the full lock stroke so it gives up after a second or two?

Monty85

Observer
Right after locking or later? Maybe the actuator can't complete the full lock stroke so it gives up after a second or two?

It is really random. Doors lock properly when I lock it. It has never unlocked right after. It could be anytime randomly. Sometimes actuator would even unlock even while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monty85

Observer
Does it blink and honk?

Hi Kyle, no it does not blink or honk either.

Forgot to mention that I have replaced an actuator on driver side door. It was available and thought i would give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bugshield

Does it blink and honk?

I like where you're going with this. Also does it normally blink/honk when using the remote transmitter? I believe both functions can be disabled (or maybe just the honk?)

Monty85

Observer
Ooohhhh am I suspecting the switch here ?

So to answer your question:
Yes, it does blink and honk while locking with remote.
No honk while unlocking from remote
No blink or honk while it unlocks itself.
No blink or honk while I manually lock/unlock with switch on door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bugshield

I thought KyleT might be suspecting a bad remote transmitter which would be easy enough to test by removing it from the keyring or switching to your other set of keys/transmitter unless there's one lost in the car. Do all doors unlock? I thought I had read just the driver's but maybe made that up. Just the driver door would be a clue that it's more likely a remote or related to the remote entry system.

You could pinpoint or eliminate a switch by unplugging it for a while and seeing if the problem disappears.

Not specific to Montero but the wiring for any switches in the door is subject to frequent bending, vibration, etc. A good place to look for a chaffed wire harness would be at the bend, behind the kick panel, or where the wiring enters the door - especially on the driver's side.

In order of likelihood I'd guess: switch, transmitter, door wiring, relay/other wiring based on my experience with cars in general.

Monty85

Observer
I thought KyleT might be suspecting a bad remote transmitter which would be easy enough to test by removing it from the keyring or switching to your other set of keys/transmitter unless there's one lost in the car. Do all doors unlock? I thought I had read just the driver's but maybe made that up. Just the driver door would be a clue that it's more likely a remote or related to the remote entry system.

You could pinpoint or eliminate a switch by unplugging it for a while and seeing if the problem disappears.

Not specific to Montero but the wiring for any switches in the door is subject to frequent bending, vibration, etc. A good place to look for a chaffed wire harness would be at the bend, behind the kick panel, or where the wiring enters the door - especially on the driver's side.

In order of likelihood I'd guess: switch, transmitter, door wiring, relay/other wiring based on my experience with cars in general.

Hmmm .. Thanks. This is helping me to eliminate possibilities one by one.
I have both remote with me and they both work ok and have good batteries.
When the door unlocks, its all the doors. Not just driver door.
Also I belive it is not the transmitter/remote because door would be unlocked even when the remote is not in the range of the vehicle.

So I will try this for few days and see how it goes.

1. disconnect Lock switch from passenger side and observe.
2. if 1 does not work, I will disconnect just the wires for lock switch from Driver side.
3. if 2 does not work, then will try to follow the wire from lock around the door to the cabin and so.

UPDATE:
so #1 failed. I locked the car after I posted this, and its already been unlocked.
Moving to #2 test.

#2 failed too ..

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
I think it has a lock inhibit if the drivers door is open too. Not sure I would have to go through the fsm. Another possibility is the central locking unit or whatever it's called being bad.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Is it a bad door jamb switch? If it does not see all the door jamb switches correctly, then it would immediately unlock the doors. IIRC

Monty85

Observer
Hey Michael, door jamb switch is good as far as I know. Door light responds

One thing I remembered is my rear door lock actuator is funky. Sometimes it works and sometime it doesnt. So I removed it today to fix or replace anyways. This might be sending false signal to the main controller and causing the mystery unlock.

Now that it is removed, lets see if my doors stay locked.

aaa6e8e452f2269f6d26c57cbc230319.jpg

7b479e75e65bad6b9e526fef63c01c38.jpg

Monty85

Observer
Hey thanks ! I believe you might have the same problem as mine as far as rear door goes.
Regardless of if you use remote or the switch to lock/unlock, rear door sometimes does not work.

I pulled out the actuator and it felt like gear inside was worn out. I can hear thing moves inside it, but the arm on outside didn't move. Just need to replace perhaps.

Good that your other doors are ok

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman