Gen 3 evap system fumes smell

KyleT

Explorer
My 2006 has a very strong fuel odor from the right rear. Nowhere else. Is from under the back not around the fuel filler.

Looking at the manual and parts breakdown the evap charcoal canister is back there and has a fresh air valve to vent it. The tank has never been pressurized when I fill it up.

I checked the faults and up until today had none related. Now it has P0441.

I need to get this resolved because the fine smell gets into the cabin and gives me a headache.

Has anyone has experienced this or have any ideas before I tear into it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullMonte

Adventurer
I had the same problem, actually had gas pouring from the left rear...this was after I drove up to 8000 feet.. I'm trying to find a mechanic to help me figure this out. As far as the smell it helped when I closed the 3rd row windows. I also had my gas tank replaced twice prior to the trip. I'm wondering if they're related.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
A while back I had the same code.
I replaced a very small o-ring on one of the connectors that attach to the fuel pump assembly (I think it was the pressure regulator male fitting).
Tumble the seat forward so you have access to the top of the fuel pump assembly.
Get a rag to absorb the gas that will come out. The connector has a very small o-ring around the shaft that inserts into the fuel pump assembly.
When I removed the o-ring it was degraded. I tried to replace it with a Viton o-ring, but my local shop told me it's made only in rubber.
Sorry I don't recall more detail...
Hope that helps-Cheers

KyleT

Explorer
Interesting.

P0455 popped up yesterday too. I will look at that oring and test the purge valve this evening if I have a chance.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Interesting.

P0455 popped up yesterday too. I will look at that oring and test the purge valve this evening if I have a chance.

P0455 is a large leak in the evap. system according to the Haynes table.
Can you see fuel coming out now, or just still smell it?

Do you regularly "top-off" your fuel tank when filling up?

KyleT

Explorer
tested the Purge valve and it checked ok as far as I can tell.

Just the smell. no evidence of fuel spilling anywhere.it does not seem relevant to tank level, the smell is under the rear passenger side and migrates into the cabin from the rear. it is not continuous and i cant figure out any relationship to fuel level or when I filled the tank. I dont top it off, I let it click once then once more to make sure. Ill add theat when I bought the truck the tank was really hard ti fill, meaning the pump would click off like it was full unless I filled super slow and kept resetting it. that issue has seemed to stop. the vapor smell has become worse.

vanroth

Observer
Kyle,

Did you ever get this resolved? Occasionally I see the same fuel smell issue on my '06. It is sporadic that I've been unable to track it down. I've had the same fueling issue and today I had a hard time getting any fuel in it without the pump handle triggering.

-justin

KyleT

Explorer
Nothing yet. Smell was exceptionally strong today. It is intermittent. I plan to check the stuff out when I have time to pull the covers off in the right rear.

kdj

Observer
I had the fill neck on my 02 rust out at the clamp to the rubber hose that connects to the tank. It was pretty small leak only when the tank was full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman