GEN 3 Flashing CDL Light

Monstero

Adventurer
I figured I would post up here to possibly help someone else out and save them some trouble. This may or may not be the problem for a different rig but it is definitely the place to start. There are many other areas to look after this down the line but I am glad to not replace any switches on the transfer case. My symptoms were as follows with my blinking light. I had full function of all my 4x4. I was in 2 wheel drive and would go 15 miles or so and then all my other lights would go out and only the center diff would flash. It defaults to 4 wheel drive in this mode as well. After turning off the motor and restarting it resets and would be fine again for another 15 miles. So instead of removing all the transfer case switches to check I decided to start here.

Anyways I started by taking the HVAC Control solenoid free. There are only 2 bolts that hold it.
hvac solenoid 2_zpsqhxcllta.jpg

hvac solenoid 3_zpsleiivgxg.jpg

Disconnect all the vaccuum lines and there are two wire connections on the bottom that have to be unsnapped and pulled out. Once they are all removed it can be take out to be tested.

hvac solenoid 4_zpsr11pegie.jpg

hvac solenoid 1_zpsakrtdhy3.jpg

Once removed completley you can test the relays. This is pretty straight forward procedure. Just make a couple Jumper wires to connect to you battery. Once you make the connections with the jumpers you should hear a click with each connection. Both relays should make a good solid click and that means they are good. One of my relays clicked and the other did not. So I am going to buy the part on ebay for 23 dollars and good to go. Hope this helps someone.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I had a similar problem, but it turned out to be a leaking diaphragm in the free-wheel clutch actuator. The solenoids worked correctly, but the lines going to the actuator would not maintain a vacuum. That was about 20k miles ago.

The Viper

Adventurer
Had the exact issue after buying my 2003 last September, changing the solenoid fixed the issue

Thanks for the write up

loremordred

Observer
I just did this 4 months ago... It was the same issue.... Actuator was blown.... Shoeing different impedance than spec.... Would go out when temperatures rose, and work on cold days and cold starts.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Thanks Monstero.

Have any of you had the blinking light come on immediately once turning on the vehicle? I've read quite a few posts and they all seem to say that their blinking light only comes after driving for x number of miles, and if they turn the vehicle off and restart it goes back to normal for a while. Mine is blinking from the word go and does not reset. Just wondering if this has been anybody else's experience or if they've read another post that sounds similar.

Monstero

Adventurer
Nope I have not. I have not had any problem with mine other than the air solenoid that I replaced here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Nope I have not. I have not had any problem with mine other than the air solenoid that I replaced here.

Ok. I'll keep looking around. I found the "ground out the pin" method for reading codes. Hopefully it is either code 33 or 35 for me, but we'll see.

Monstero

Adventurer
Good luck with finding...can be tricky but hopefully it works out

loremordred

Observer
Thanks Monstero.

Have any of you had the blinking light come on immediately once turning on the vehicle? I've read quite a few posts and they all seem to say that their blinking light only comes after driving for x number of miles, and if they turn the vehicle off and restart it goes back to normal for a while. Mine is blinking from the word go and does not reset. Just wondering if this has been anybody else's experience or if they've read another post that sounds similar.
I've had this issue. I have seen it progress to different stages.

First after driving a distance, then later it was affected by temperature, cold days vs 85+ degrees, or after the vehicle warmed up. Then it simply just blinked at start.

It turned out that the free wheel solenoid was blown (electrical wasn't showing right amperage\resistance), after replacing the solenoid, my problems went away.

I bought a Chinese version on ebay for v$38

Works so far. tight fit

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger