Gen 3 Fuel Tank Leak

The Viper

Adventurer
Hello Everyone,

my 2003 montero has a little fuel leak. I took off the fuel tank cover and found what looks like a drain plug on the bottom of the gas tank leaking. Is this a drain plug and does anyone have a part number for it? Is the replacement has easy as a oil drain plug, or are there special considerations due to a pressurized system? Is it common for this plug to leak?

EDIT1: it is indeed a fuel tank drain plug, it appears whatever washer was used has started to breakdown causing the leak...i gave a very slight tighten on the bolt and it looks like it has temporarily halted the leak. I found the part number for the plug (1715A135) and it fits on multiple mitsu makes and models, none of my local mitsu dealerships carry it and its not available anywhere close, i suppose i could reuse the old bolt and just replace the washer with a copper one? but i was hoping to do a quick take the old one out put the new one in without draining the fuel
Thanks

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Take a picture of what you are describing. The parts diagram shows what looks like a plug on the bottom (05298) with a metal gasket. I have not touched this, but it may be what you are seeing. Not sure why it would start leaking.

Fuel Tank Parts Diagram

ChrisCosta416

I would not re-use the bolt. What you could do is buy a similar bolt from a hardware store and install a new copper washer.

The Viper

Adventurer
I just picked up the bolt (1715A135) from a local mitsubishi tuning (EVOs) shop...came with a washer...so im hoping to do a very quick take old one out put new one in without draining the tank. Ill drive the monty till the gas level gets pretty low (not too low)

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78