Gen 3 Introduction

Bueller?

This is my first real post (officially it was on the Trasharoo group buy). I felt inspired to introduce myself and my recently purchased 2006 Montero. I stumbled across this site when doing research about Monteros, as I have never owned one or really ever noticed them before recently. The knowledge base and general enthusiasm of the Mitsu crowd here definitely helped in my decision making, so thanks.

I picked up the Gen 3 last month and have some ideas based on other owners that are active on this site, but to be completely honest, I have little knowledge and few DIY skills. So, my build will be much slower than most. I have mainly owned full size pickups, with the exception of a P38 Range Rover.

The primary purpose of this vehicle is to be my DD and to get to hunting and kayaking spots. Along with Mrs. Bueller?, I also hope to introduce my 2 year old son to nature through camping and general exploration.

Looking forward to following others progress and learning from previous builds.

Planned Mods:
Remove Running Boards
OME Suspension Lift
ARB Bumper
A/T Tires
Sliders
Yakima Railgrab

Debating Mods:
Remove Body Cladding
Winch
Black Steelies (like the FJCs)

The stock Montero in its new home
photo.jpg

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Keep the cladding, it will protect the paint a lot. As for a winch, if you plan to go alone a lot then they are worth the money, but if always in a group then not as crucial.

Bueller?

Keep the cladding, it will protect the paint a lot. As for a winch, if you plan to go alone a lot then they are worth the money, but if always in a group then not as crucial.

Thanks for the advice. I will most likely be alone, but hoping to find some others in the Southeast that are willing to let a newbie tag along.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'll have to post up some pics of my own Gen III project (stay tuned). I pulled the cladding and am very, very happy with the results. I filled the resultant holes (welded 'em) and covered the entire area that had previously been cladding with Monsterliner. I love the stuff, although it's spendy. The cladding was a true PITA. It's not tough enough for any serious use, and it's impossible to make it look decent once you've whacked it hard and/or pulled it loose.

Jaynen

Adventurer
Sabre! you are in my neighborhood and with a Gen 3! You ever go out with Northwest Overlanders?

I would pull the cladding but it seems like a lot of work so I will wait until it ends up damaged.

I find my rig was great stock and even better with tires and the ome lift. Ditching those stock running boards is high on my list along with recovery gear and some additional lighting

Bueller?

I'll have to post up some pics of my own Gen III project (stay tuned). I pulled the cladding and am very, very happy with the results. I filled the resultant holes (welded 'em) and covered the entire area that had previously been cladding with Monsterliner. I love the stuff, although it's spendy. The cladding was a true PITA. It's not tough enough for any serious use, and it's impossible to make it look decent once you've whacked it hard and/or pulled it loose.

Looking forward to seeing your updates. Thanks for the info

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Welcome aboard! Great looking rig.
The Montero is a very nice platform for the kind of vehicle you're looking for...you won't be disappointed.

Bueller?

Welcome aboard! Great looking rig.
The Montero is a very nice platform for the kind of vehicle you're looking for...you won't be disappointed.

Thanks. I read through some of your previous posts and saw where you got a deal on a Superwinch recently. Have you had any time to test it out? What lbs rating would you recommend?

We have a local 4x4 shop here that has some inventory they are trying to move and have them discounted. They also looked at me like I was from Mars when I told them my plans for the Montero...

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Thanks. I read through some of your previous posts and saw where you got a deal on a Superwinch recently. Have you had any time to test it out? What lbs rating would you recommend?

We have a local 4x4 shop here that has some inventory they are trying to move and have them discounted. They also looked at me like I was from Mars when I told them my plans for the Montero...

I went with the X9, but it's not installed yet.
It arrived the day before we left to visit family in the desert for a week.
The plan is to install it on one of the next two weekends.
It will be installed before our next trip- visiting family in the Grand Canyon for a week, then off for an annual snow wheeling trip in early Jan. for five days.

Isn't it great having a unique rig!

cnutco

Adventurer
Very sharp rig! I have most of the same ideas as you.

ge6epyha.jpg
bypudame.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bueller?

Very sharp rig! I have most of the same ideas as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your rig looks great. How much have the additions effected the daily drivability? I am only a few miles to the office but due to our location, will have to log some highway miles to get out and explore.

Bueller?

Removed the running boards today. Also found a set of 265/70/17 Wrangler A/T take offs on Craigslist that only have 3k miles on them. Traded some junk that was just taking up space in the attic so no cash involved :victory: I always wondered where the tires end up when people buy brand new trucks and jack them up etc.

Anyways, this will get me around until I get the OME setup on and decide if I want to go taller. So far I like the quietness and ride. Yakima Railgrab added also.

Another driveway pic :mad:
image.jpg

Bueller?

Looking good. I need to take my runningboards off also. Did yours have the lights on them?

They did have the lights. They were fairly simple to disconnect towards the rear of the vehicle. The whole project only took an hour or so. For some reason there are 3 different bolt sizes, so figuring out which socket was need on the first side ate up most of my time. The other side only took a few minutes. I also used the sawzall on some pieces that were left after the running boards were removed. They looked like some sort of mini mudflaps. I don't have a clue what the technical term is and didn't think to take any pics. I love the look without them so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears