Gen 3 - KYB G-A-J vs Bilstein 4600 with stock coils

Keeping my upgrades budget & keeping stock coils, but want to replace shocks (stocks are at 100k miles). Not planning on lifting (at the moment).

Will KYB do a good enough job at 50% of price of Bilstein? Most of time in the truck will be spent on the highway, some mild backroads. Looking for comfort mostly. I have read that KYB are stiffer and Bilsteins are the way to go, but that was coming from people that do way more wheeling that I plan to.

Is keeping stock springs just lazy? What would you replace them with? Maybe the mildest lift Lovells? (not quite on budget, however).

Cheers,

sedole

I don't have experience with KYB on the Gen 3. But I do have experience with the 4600 as well as both KYB and 4600 on my old gen 1. Just making a big assumption here that they are roughly similar ride quality truck to truck...the 4600 is more comfortable on road. IMO. The KYB are fine if the road is very smooth, but any surface variation or roughness translates to a very harsh ride. Again, just my opinion here. I'm sure the KYB would be a huge upgrade over the tired stock shocks, but I think the 4600 are worth the money. I briefly had the 4600s on with stock springs in the rear of my gen 3 and it was very comfortable ?

plh

Explorer
KYB are really harsh on a Gen 3. I went this route first and after 5K miles swapped to Bilsteins. You do know that you "old" stock springs are all sagged out after 15 years (or more).

KYB are really harsh on a Gen 3. I went this route first and after 5K miles swapped to Bilsteins. You do know that you "old" stock springs are all sagged out after 15 years (or more).

Absolutely, 17 year old springs need to to go. It seems replacement choices are sparse if one isn't inclined to lift, save the OEM equipment.

Stock Mitsu parts aren't exactly at a discount either.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
On a Gen 1, at least, the price difference is at least triple the KYB Gas-A-Just to go with Bilstein 4600. $329.16 Bilstein, $103.16 KYB G-A-J. Both prices less the ever-present 5% discount, plus shipping and tax. I suppose if I was actually going to use the Gen 1 for anything other than short day trips, then I would actually care.

John B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears