Gen 3 Montero Traction Packages

mikebmrx

So I'm getting ready to stop lurking around and finally buy my own Montero. After all my research I'm still left with one question. Which package is included with which traction control?

I know the 03+ limited has the more advanced system, but what about the xls? And for the 01-02 is there an LSD in all xls? What about the limited?

I'd love to compile a confirmed list here for my answer and for the next guy searching.

Thanks for the answers.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
From an older post:
vanroth said:
Gearing:

01-02 Limited – 3.5l V6 - 4.30 R&P w/LSD – 5 Speed Auto -- Super Select II 4WD w/CDL
01-02 XLS – 3.5l V6 - 4.90 R&P – 4 Speed Auto – Manual Shift 2-Spd Part Time 4WD
03-06 Limited & XLS – 4.30 R&P – Traction Control (M-ASTC) – 5 Speed Auto -- Super Select II 4WD w/CDL

4spd 5spd
1st 2.842 3.789
2nd 1.495 2.057
3rd 1.000 1.421
4th 0.731 1.000
5th − 0.731
Reverse 2.720 3.865

The Limited was advertised as coming standard with the sunroof, leather interior, heated front seats, a power driver's seat, heated mirrors, fog lights, chrome exterior accents*, premium audio and the LCD Information Center. I italic advertised as a good number of the Limited's do not have the chrome accents and a few rare examples were sans sunroofs.
XLS's had the rear air as an option and even were available with leather, though cloth was far more common. A few rare examples also had sunroofs.
I'm not aware of any 01-02 Limited's in the US that did not come standard with the LSD torsen-type rear. I haven't heard of the 4.90's coming with LSD's either, but I'm sure it is possible. I wouldn't be surprised that a few transition year (2003) trucks are oddballs, but I would be hesitant to call that the norm and definitely not random.

magoh76

Adventurer
I had an 01 XLS with the sunroof and LSD. I thought they were both standard equipment. Seems like every Gen 3 I've seen has the sunroof anyway.

mikebmrx

It seems like the 01 and 02 are the tricky ones. I've read mixed reports on the XLS, but from what I understand if it had a sunroof it had an LSD.

Is there an easy way to tell if it's got an LSD, like poke my head under the rear axle easy?

jhill15

Explorer
It seems like the 01 and 02 are the tricky ones. I've read mixed reports on the XLS, but from what I understand if it had a sunroof it had an LSD.

Is there an easy way to tell if it's got an LSD, like poke my head under the rear axle easy?
Yes it will say hybid lsd oil only on the rear diff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Just went through this. Buy a Limited. The traction control is so much better than the LSD. The 5-speed is so much better than the 4-speed. Easier to change diff gear ratios or add an LSD if you choose to, than it is to add the 5-speed --- the 5-speed gives you better low gearing in low gears and better high gearing with 5th gear, so you get more torque at low speed and better highway mileage at those speeds. The transmission difference is huge.

Eric M

Adventurer
The trim level doesn't affect where or not you have traction control as any Montero MY2003 and later has it. The 5 speed is a real upgrade in the 01-02, though. Definitely go for that.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
The trim level doesn't affect where or not you have traction control as any Montero MY2003 and later has it. The 5 speed is a real upgrade in the 01-02, though. Definitely go for that.

Right, but I'm making the point not to fixate on the LSD, as many people do. The traction control will get you out of more stuck's than the LSD will.

DSouth

Observer
I agree with Eric M and All-Terrain. The 5 speed is quite desirable for all the reasons stated, as is the traction control system. I would take it a bit further though and say, other then price I see no reason to choose the 01-02 models over the 03- and up.

mikebmrx

Well, I've taken a look at couple 03's over the last week. One that got sold out of under me, which sucks. And the other one was far from the 'well kept' that was advertised. Right now I'm looking to take a 'well kept' 02 for a spin. But it seems like the advise here is to go with the 03+ if I can. I'm not in a rush and would rather wait for the right Montero than the one if front of me. I've read the 4 speed auto is bulletproof, does the 5 speed hold that reputation as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998