Gen 3 Monty?

OneTime

Adventurer
I have been off the site for a while. But with Wiffys Expedition Tranny taking a dump a second time with in 18 mos and 30,000 miles. I am looking for a veh again. Ill be getting rid of her Ford and my 91 LC 80. And getting a Gen 3 Monty. I was glad to see and read the recent Monty Post. I had wanted to get a LC 100 but the price MPG and AWD all stack up.

I owned a 95 SR and loved it. Wish I still had it. With the 2003 models what is the difference btwen Limited and XLS? I think its just trim stuff right? The tranny and engine are the same, I think.

With a truck with 70,000 what should I be concerned with. And How long can I expect the motor and tranny to last before the need rebuilt? Thanks Keith

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
OneTime said:
I have been off the site for a while. But with Wiffys Expedition Tranny taking a dump a second time with in 18 mos and 30,000 miles. I am looking for a veh again. Ill be getting rid of her Ford and my 91 LC 80. And getting a Gen 3 Monty. I was glad to see and read the recent Monty Post. I had wanted to get a LC 100 but the price MPG and AWD all stack up.

I owned a 95 SR and loved it. Wish I still had it. With the 2003 models what is the difference btwen Limited and XLS? I think its just trim stuff right? The tranny and engine are the same, I think.

With a truck with 70,000 what should I be concerned with. And How long can I expect the motor and tranny to last before the need rebuilt? Thanks Keith

There are drivetrain differences between the Limited and XLS.

Engine is the same; so no worries there.

Differences include:

1) A/T: 5-speed=Limited (tiptronic shifting too); 4-speed=XLS
2) Diff ratio: 4.3=Limited; 5-speed=XLS
3) LSD Rear diff: I believe this is standard on the Limited and only optional on the XLS. You definitely want the LSD if you can get it.
4) Huge sunroof. Standard on Limited; option on XLS Don't overlook this one. This thing's awesome
5) Full-time 4WD (center diff lock) is standard on the Limited (selectable). This isn't an option on the XLS; only part time 4WD.

Motor and transmission: These are well built and should last a long time. I've actually not heard of any issues with the A/T. Engines easily go over 200K miles.

Honestly, you get so much more with the limited for only a little more $, I can't see the benefit of the XLS.

OneTime

Adventurer
How does the full time 4WD on the limited affect the mpg? Is it similair to the LC AWD or can it be driven in 2wd.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
OneTime said:
How does the full time 4WD on the limited affect the mpg? Is it similair to the LC AWD or can it be driven in 2wd.

I haven't really noticed the difference, but it is selectable. So, yes, 2wd is an option.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
OneTime said:
How do I find out if the XLS has LSD?

My diff has a silver sticker on it that states LSD. It's on the back side of the diff. It shows through a small square opening in the rear sub-frame.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think most XLS models had an open diff. I recently bought a set of used XLS carriers, because it was cheaper than getting new R&P gears. (I wanted the 4.9's) Almost all of the XLS diffs I ran into were open.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
OneTime said:
I thought in 2003 both went to 5spd?

You may be right about that. I own a 2001 and my service manual is for 01/02 and I was quoting it. Forgive the oversight on your interest in 2003 models.

Also, in 2003, I believe that traction control was added. So, you may have to dig a little deeper to find out whether the LSD was still an option.

OneTime

Adventurer
What do I loose out on if I get a 01 or 02 XLS over a 03? Other than the 5 spd tranny. Do I not get the actrive track 4WD?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears