Gen 3 rear A/C question: 01-02 only?

mapper

Explorer
Do all the Limiteds have the rear A/C or just the 01-02s? I've been reading up a bit on the Gen 3s and recognize the reasons many like the 03+ models, but for my purposes (usually bringing cold climate dogs on desert trips or hot summer road trips) a rear A/C is a very nice thing to have. I read somewhere that rear A/C got deleted from newer trucks. True?

Thanks!

Has been one of the reasons I preferred taking trips in my Astro vs my gen 2.5. I'm looking into whether or not a Gen 3 could truly replace my Astro as my travel vehicle.

Eric M

Adventurer
Rear A/C was available on the NP. I don't know whether or not it was standard equipment, but I see it a lot.

earljuic3

Adventurer
The rear AC / heat works really well in the gen 3 for what it's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanroth

Observer
It was optional throughout all of the years. This includes the XLS as well (excl '01). But as Eric hinted, it is hard to find a NP without it.

Interestingly enough I replaced my Astro with a Montero (NM) as well. The dogs don't like it nearly as much, but it is a much better ride.

loremordred

Observer
My '04 limited has it.

Just wish the air box was tucked higher into the body.
don't like under hanging items ...

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
2001 LTD and mine has it.

If you are experiencing less than optimal performance from either the heat or the AC, make sure the foam gasket hasn't fallen apart and/or some halfwit shade tree hack put it back together wrong after trying to fix it. Like everything else they did to my poor Monty...

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
05 Limited has it. 01 XLS didn't. I like having the rear AC for pets/extra passengers that goes all the way to the 3rd row. The heat ducts in the floor of the 2nd row are also very good.

Just FYI, the Montero rear AC is a separate system from the front AC. There is an additional blower assembly in the rear so it is independent of the driver's settings. I think it became standard when the XLS trim was dropped in the '03 year, but I may be wrong.

mapper

Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Michael, you mention the thing I really like about the Montero rear A/C. My van is the same...which is nice for keeping the rear setting colder than the front. Usually if my A/C is on during a long summer trip/freeway cruise I'm wearing shorts, t-shirt, and likely no shoes. Getting things cool enough to keep my huskies nice and comfortable in the rear without freezing myself out, or putting on a sweater, is much easier with a completely separate rear unit. Most other situations I just keep the windows open. Wish the Gen 3 had sliders in the rear-most windows like the gen 2.5

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears