Gen 3 Timing Belt and Head Gasket Job.

MascotRejct

Adventurer
So i uploaded all my photos from the job onto an imgr album. I probably should have taken more pictures, but I was covered in grime most of the time, and didn't want to get my phone all dirty. Replaced all the gaskets down there, crankshaft bolt and front seal, timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner and tensioner pulley, timing belt idler pulley, camshaft front and real seals, valve quide seals, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets (didn't need it, but I was down there and taking the heads off made it easier to to the guide seals anyways), exhaust gaskets, gaskets from exhaust manifold to down pipes, both upper O2 sensors, plugs and wires, thermostat, and temperature sender. When taking the heads off, I left the coolant cross pipe that goes form head to head attached to the drivers side head. I couldn't easily get to the bolts on the driver's side and said screw it. Also, I made one of the tools to hold the crankshaft and camshaft sprokets that was posted elsewhere on this board. Worked like a dream for 1/8th the cost of the mitsu one.

Here's the link:
http://imgur.com/a/02HRx

Thanks for all the help that people provided from the forum!

Edit: Also, i have a video of it running after the job. Not the best quality, but figured I'll add it here anyways. Why not right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv7aNVgeYgQ&feature=youtu.be

MascotRejct

Adventurer
So after some searching, I have discovered that on only the 2001 models, there is just one o-ring for the rear camshaft seals. Apparently the drivers side bank is supposed to use sealant instead of an o-ring due to the camshaft position sensor being located there. I'm pretty sure thats where my small oil leak is coming from, since i used an o-ring on it instead. So if anyone else has a 2001, be aware of that.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Great job MascotReject, hey one quick question for you. Seeing as how you removed the cylinder heads, did you also replace the cylinder head bolts??? If not, make sure to check the torque on those bolts every 10k-12k miles.

I have personal experience with that issue. Not a good scenario to be facing after an overhaul like you described.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

MascotRejct

Adventurer
I did. Even if the cylinder head bolts are said to be reusable, I usually replace them anyways, due to the high torque placed on the bolts, and the ramifications of the failure of them. Not something you want to happen, like you said. Haha! Plus, I think it was maybe $40 for a whole new set, and i'll gladly pay that for peace of mind on a 200K car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12