Gen 3 to Gen 2.5

Selling my beloved 2001 XLS (pic below on 34s; currently on 32s) to my oldest boy and am about to replace it with a 1999 Winter Package. Anyone else in here make that transition? If so, which platform do you like best? Honest answers won't hurt my feelings. I love the Gen 3s -- just wanted to try something different. Do tell.

da-fug.jpeg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've owned a 91, two 98's, and a 2002 Montero. I loved them all. I think the 98 is my favorite, as it drives a bit lighter and a bit more truck-like (bouncier for sure!), and just feels more nimble. I put 33" tires on all of them, and used them off road quite a bit. The 2002 is nicer on the interior, but not any more or less comfortable, and I love the positive mechanical feel of all the switches and controls in the Gen 2's. In many ways they compare so closely it won't matter, and in other ways they don't compare at all and it won't matter. If you need a third row, the Gen 3 is hard to beat, but if you just want cargo space, pulling the seats in the Gen 2 is easy and you've got plenty of room.

I've owned a 91, two 98's, and a 2002 Montero. I loved them all. I think the 98 is my favorite, as it drives a bit lighter and a bit more truck-like (bouncier for sure!), and just feels more nimble. I put 33" tires on all of them, and used them off road quite a bit. The 2002 is nicer on the interior, but not any more or less comfortable, and I love the positive mechanical feel of all the switches and controls in the Gen 2's. In many ways they compare so closely it won't matter, and in other ways they don't compare at all and it won't matter. If you need a third row, the Gen 3 is hard to beat, but if you just want cargo space, pulling the seats in the Gen 2 is easy and you've got plenty of room.

Sounds more like a lateral move than a downgrade or upgrade, as I suspected. Good to hear that you really liked your 98. Also good to hear that I can slap 33s on it! As for the third row, the 2001 served the family well when we had three kiddos in the back, but two are older now and drive their own cars, with just a little one and an annoying dog left to fight over the rear seat.

I see glowing reviews on both platforms so I'm just looking forward to change. Appreciate the insights.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I loved my Gen 3, I'd own one again but the Gen 2 is a lot more universal (parts interchangeability) and the options are far greater than the Gen 3 especially if you're in for the long haul or plan on wheeling really hard.

I loved my Gen 3, I'd own one again but the Gen 2 is a lot more universal (parts interchangeability) and the options are far greater than the Gen 3 especially if you're in for the long haul or plan on wheeling really hard.

Thank you, Toasty. I bought a Gen 3 half a decade ago and you and Michael Brown were incredibly helpful in getting me up to speed on the platform. I'm noticing less threads in here related to Gen 2.5s than I saw back then, and that stands to reason since owners get older, as do vehicles, and tastes change. I'm hoping though, that enough diehards remain that I'll be able to pick brains for advice on maintenance and mods. Truth be told, I was on the fence between a 1997 LX450, a 2004 GX470 and this Montero, but this '98 Monty is a 100K mile, unmolested truck (details to come after I hopefully close the deal today). It has been a tough call but I'm going with the Montero since it seems like the best bang-for-the-buck deal, and since I've become somewhat of a sucker for the under-appreciated brand.

Anyhoo, thanks again for your onetime counsel, and know that I'll be hitting you up for input and advice again. If you require a downpayment or monthly installments for the dispensing of knowledge, just let me know lol. I'll be doing as you and Mr. Brown told me to do five years ago by tackling maintenance (timing belt & water pump, all fluids, updated crankshaft bolt, gaskets, plugs, wires, etc) before mods. Given that it's the same basic powerplant, I assume that there will be many similarities re: the under-the-hood parts I bought for my Gen 3 back then. I'll then start outfitting the truck as an overlander with a modest lift, suitable size tires for the stock gearing, etc., hopefully gleaning some wisdom from this board (yet again) and benefitting from the folks who have pushed their gen 2/2.5s to new heights. Really looking forward to it.

First question of what are likely to be many: have parts for 2/2.5s gotten even tougher to find than they were five years ago, or is sourcing what's needed still pretty feasible with some effort?

Last edited:
Thank you, Toasty. I bought a Gen 3 half a decade ago and you and Michael Brown were incredibly helpful in getting me up to speed on the platform. I'm noticing less threads in here related to Gen 2.5s than I saw back then, and that stands to reason since owners get older, as do vehicles, and tastes change. I'm hoping though, that enough diehards remain that I'll be able to pick brains for advice on maintenance and mods. Truth be told, I was on the fence between a 1997 LX450, a 2004 GX470 and this Montero, but this '98 Monty is a 100K mile, unmolested truck (details to come after I hopefully close the deal today). It has been a tough call but I'm going with the Montero since it seems like the best bang-for-the-buck deal, and since I've become somewhat of a sucker for the under-appreciated brand.

Anyhoo, thanks again for your onetime counsel, and know that I'll be hitting you up for input and advice again. If you require a downpayment or monthly installments for the dispensing of knowledge, just let me know lol. I'll be doing as you and Mr. Brown told me to do five years ago by tackling maintenance (timing belt & water pump, all fluids, updated crankshaft bolt, gaskets, plugs, wires, etc) before mods. Given that it's the same basic powerplant, I assume that there will be many similarities re: the under-the-hood parts I bought for my Gen 3 back then. I'll then start outfitting the truck as an overlander with a modest lift, suitable size tires for the stock gearing, etc., hopefully gleaning some wisdom from this board (yet again) and benefitting from the folks who have pushed their gen 2/2.5s to new heights. Really looking forward to it.

My 2c,

Gen 2/2.5 for a more rugged, no fuss, real 4WD machine. Being a body on frame, solid rear axle, less electronics and such, it has the potential to be a more "hardcore" off-road machine. That being said, they are great on road and for touring as well.
I own a Gen 2.5.

I have driven and been driven in many Gen 3s, and they are super tourers and on-road vehicles, so comfortable, all the safetey's, much better on-road drive than the Gen 2. Better for the family and comuting. Still very capable off-road, but limited to a degree by it's independant suspension and unibody design.
Horses for Courses I guess. The Gen 2.5 Edges it overall fo me, but it depends on what you want out of it.

I'm also in the similar mindset as you, where I love the under dog brand, and fell in love with my Gen 2.5, but the small aftermarket and communties almost made me scared making the decision! I hope that a strong comunity carries on forward, and the passion for these vehicles doesn't die.
I almost went Toyota for aftermarket support, communities etc etc
so far glad I didn't

My 2c,

Gen 2/2.5 for a more rugged, no fuss, real 4WD machine. Being a body on frame, solid rear axle, less electronics and such, it has the potential to be a more "hardcore" off-road machine. That being said, they are great on road and for touring as well.
I own a Gen 2.5.

I have driven and been driven in many Gen 3s, and they are super tourers and on-road vehicles, so comfortable, all the safetey's, much better on-road drive than the Gen 2. Better for the family and comuting. Still very capable off-road, but limited to a degree by it's independant suspension and unibody design.
Horses for Courses I guess. The Gen 2.5 Edges it overall fo me, but it depends on what you want out of it.

I'm also in the similar mindset as you, where I love the under dog brand, and fell in love with my Gen 2.5, but the small aftermarket and communties almost made me scared making the decision! I hope that a strong comunity carries on forward, and the passion for these vehicles doesn't die.
so far glad I didn't

Really happy to read that testimonial. Not enough Gen 2.5s around to get a big, rousing consensus, so I value first-hand opinions from actual owners. You and I share the hope that a devoted community for these trucks will remain for some time -- partly for the sake of an overlooked brand, and partly for selfish reasons since I need parts lol. Tell me, have you had trouble sourcing the parts you need?

My beloved gen 3, by the way...

IMG_1942.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
My 2c,

I own a Gen 2.5.

so far glad I didn't

Ah yes this old debate. Just remember that Gen 3 won more Dakar Rallys than Gen 1, 2 & 2.5 combined ;-). Its monocoque chassis !

Really happy to read that testimonial. Not enough Gen 2.5s around to get a big, rousing consensus, so I value first-hand opinions from actual owners. You and I share the hope that a devoted community for these trucks will remain for some time -- partly for the sake of an overlooked brand, and partly for selfish reasons since I need parts lol. Tell me, have you had trouble sourcing the parts you need?

My beloved gen 3, by the way...

View attachment 734378

Lovely Gen 3 you have/had!

So far no real trouble finding the parts I need, just in comparisson to other 4WD's the aftermarket seems small. (I'm in South Africa by the way)

Lovely Gen 3 you have/had!

So far no real trouble finding the parts I need, just in comparisson to other 4WD's the aftermarket seems small. (I'm in South Africa by the way)

Thank you, and good to know.
Yes, I have loved that 2001 XLS and am sad to let it go, but I want a new experience. I feel better knowing that it will remain in our family. It’s still in great shape and has the hybrid LSD, so there was really no thought of letting it leave the roost.

macdrew77

I have a 1997 Gen 2 and really want to buy a Gen 3 so I could compare back to back. I’m wondering how much better the Gen 3 is for traveling forest roads at high speeds. Definitely love the rugged simplicity and tasteful interior of my 97 though.

I have a 1997 Gen 2 and really want to buy a Gen 3 so I could compare back to back. I’m wondering how much better the Gen 3 is for traveling forest roads at high speeds. Definitely love the rugged simplicity and tasteful interior of my 97 though.

I can't compare either having not owned a 2.5 yet, but I can say that the Gen 3 is surprisingly capable over rough terrain, even at a good clip. While my buddies in their straight-axle trucks get their backbones rearranged, my old Gen 3 just floats over ruts and humps. I have a local buddy who's a seasoned mechanic, and he marvels at the beefy suspension components when my truck's on his lift. I know that I will sorely miss my Gen 3, but I've always thought the Gen 2.5s were cool, capable trucks with classic lines so I need to try one. If I don't love it I'll likely buy an FJ80. Variety is the spice of life. :)

Zoomaster

I did the opposite to you where I went from 2.5 to gen 3, like other have said the gen 3 is more comfortable on the road than the 2.5 and I can concur. The 2.5 isn't like terrible but it's easier to feel worse on the road. For what I'm doing the gen 3 made more sense since I'm mostly putting highway miles on and doing some light offroading and the 2.5 just wasn't as comfortable on the road and I probably wouldn't ever really use it's full potential.

Also the gen 3 is definitely more roomy and can hold more but the 2.5 is a bit smaller so makes sense and it's still pretty space efficient for what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12