Gen 3 with Load Range E Tires?

plh

Explorer
Means P Metric which means it meets certain criteria for US passenger vehicles.

P - Metric is Passenger Metric. Originally designed for cars and station wagons. When used on Light Trucks (like Monteros) their load rating is derated. Most new trucks come with them because they are cheaper than an LT rated tire.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
P - Metric is Passenger Metric. Originally designed for cars and station wagons. When used on Light Trucks (like Monteros) their load rating is derated. Most new trucks come with them because they are cheaper than an LT rated tire.

Ah good info thanks. Has anyone seen a scientific paper testing the puncture and cut resistance of various load rating types?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'll chime in.

The weight will be the biggest difference. In my experience, a higher load rating does not actually confer greater resistance to punctures. In the old days you did have more plies (10, 12, 14 ply, etc), but tires aren't made that way anymore, even if they still label tires that way. I would say that if you're willing to suffer the extra weight, going with a load range E tire to get the profile that you want is fine, but don't think that you're getting a "tougher" tire.

Our Monty is armored and not lifted and we overload her mercilessly, so we drag and grind all the time. The lava in central Washington is as jagged and as nasty as you can imagine, and our Les Schwab AT (load range D) tires look like they've just come from a knife fight after driving that stuff. But no punctures, no sidewall cuts.

OTOH, on our last trip we encountered a guy who had just had TWO flats in the same day, both times with load range E tires on his big F450 fifth wheel rig. Both culprits were pyramid-shaped rocks that simply punched through the center of the tread. We drove hundreds of miles on the same gravel roads and our puny little load range D tires were just fine. His bad luck, our good.

Any tire can suffer damage if the rock or foreign object has your name on it. Get the tire that you want and enjoy the heck out of it. And carry stuff to repair your tires! There's a cowboy in Idaho who's our friend for life after we rescued him in the middle of BFE with our tire repair gear and compressor. :sombrero:

AutoXSS

Adventurer
They always look good in black...its just that little extra something in the looks department. Nice rig!

mbialick

In the same boat here, looking for 265/75R16 tires trying to find something under 50 pounds to not make the car more sluggish with decent sidewall protection. Any recommendations?

slowedtrans

In the same boat here, looking for 265/75R16 tires trying to find something under 50 pounds to not make the car more sluggish with decent sidewall protection. Any recommendations?
About to pick up Toyo Open Country At2s load c (45lbs). I believe the Toyos and Cooper make the only load range c in this range.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I went through the same struggle trying to find tires for my Gen 3 and I specifically did NOT want Load E. I wanted something lighter (unsprung weight is a big deal) and with more flex when aired down, and that doesn't ride as hard. 33" Load C BFG KO2s are good for up to around 12,000lbs so that's obviously plenty for the Montero @ around 6,000lbs.

The only thing is the 33" KO2 is only available in Load E unless you step up to a 17" wheel. But you can get them cheap and brand new on craigslist from new Jeep JL takeoffs.

Anyways, back to your question. There are several brands that have a Load C or D in 265/75R16, check it out: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...6&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

In addition to that link, Nitto Terra Grapplers are also available with Load D and are a great standard A/T tire.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
...on my second set of 265/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx E-load.
I wouldn't put anything less than a D-load on my Montero.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I have the Toyo Open Country AT2 (LT265/75R16 Load C) and I like them a lot. Did a bit of wheeling over the weekend and they were uneventful, they just gripped nicely without any drama. On the highway they're quiet and handle well in the rain, and reasonably well in the snow.

If I were going to do it again, I would probably look more at the KO2's for the snowflake rating, which gets you out of the chain requirement here in Colorado.

offthepath

Adventurer
+1 on the Cooper st maxx. I'm amazed how quiet they are. 100% better than the At3 that were on there.

So far at 35 psi I've been really pleased with the 255s road manners.

HMSEndeavour

Id consider the Falken ATW3 Wildpeak. Its what I run and from what I have seen so far, they are basically KO2s but cheaper, without compromising quality.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Id consider the Falken ATW3 Wildpeak. Its what I run and from what I have seen so far, they are basically KO2s but cheaper, without compromising quality.

I agree the Falken ATW3 is an amazing tire at an unbelievable price - probably the best value out there IMO. The only thing it lacks when compared to the KO2 I think is it has a slightly less durable sidewall but it has lots of features the KO2 lacks which I think more than make up for it. If I had to buy a brand new set of tires and was okay with Load E, this is what I'd buy. And I'd get it from Discount / America's tire with the road hazard warranty so if anything ever did happen to the sidewalls they'd replace it for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears