Gen III 6G75 Engine Interchangability

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
For once, great news! I had a fleeting thought about lifters but was afraid to offer it up. Wonder what was down in there?

DSouth

Observer
I thought lifters early on as well, so I pulled them all out and tested them. They were filled with old nasty oil, but still held pressure fine, so I cleaned them up and put them back in. I also pulled the plugs and found that the #6 plug was broken and missing the ground electrode. I looked for it in the cyclinder as best as I could through the plug hole, but couldn't see it. Then, I replaced all the plugs and fired it back up and the sound continued, so I assumed the issue must be something lower down in the engine. More then likely it was a piece of the old broken plug that was banging around, and eventually made its way out. This weekend I plan to pull the exhaust off, and see if I can find whatever it was sitting at the entrance to the CAT.

Sononeshot

Hey guys! I know this thread is 6 years old. Piggybacking off of this post. I just bought a 2003 Montero with the 3.8L 6G75 engine. It’s got a blown head gasket and leaky bent valve cover. I’m looking at a limited supply of JDM motors online, but they’re in the $3500-$4500 price range. I’m seeing a lot more of the Endeavor engines under $1000.
Has anyone used an Endeavor engine for their Montero or have the knowledge to do this engine swap? I’m in Flagstaff/Lake Havasu AZ. Thank you!

MontySquareo

If it's just a head gasket and everything else is fine then why not repair the engine you have? And there are a few Montero people in Phoenix who know more than me

CharlieNorth

I have swapped a number of FWD engines into our RWD platforms over the decades. I expect the only one currently well covered had been a 3.8 Galant motor I swapped into my '95 SR. The SR was a 3.5 DOHC engine, The 2005, new engine at the time was a conventional SOHC, the engine has domed pistons where the DOHC had dished. I simply rebuilt the DOHC heads since they had a belt tensioner failure coming out of a failed 120K service.
The 3.8 recieved no work to it other than the need to drill & tap motor mount holes which all FWD engines lack. I might have needed to drill for a few front of engine bracket bolt positions as well. There is generally some fiddling with oil filter brackets and I truly do not recall what I did, which frustrates me since I am currently doing another 3.8 Mivec swap into a Pajero.

If you are or someone near you is not afraid to drill, tap and mod some bracketry, Do it.
Run the injectors from the 3.8 and drive easy till the injection adjusts itself. Might need the injector harness connectors changed, just solder one wire at a time.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12