Gen III Alternator

Worshington

Observer
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone has tried using a non-Mitsubishi brand replacement alternator. Mine just failed yesterday (@200,000mi) and right now the wife is in school so money is tight. Everything I have replaced on the truck so far has been OEM, I'm wondering if I can cheap up on an alternator and get away with it, at least for a few years.

nckwltn

Explorer
I would just pick up one at auto zone that is the same rating as what you have now. Should be a quick swap. Pull the positive terminal on the battery first though.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I would just pick up one at auto zone that is the same rating as what you have now. Should be a quick swap. Pull the positive terminal on the battery first though.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

This is probably pretty safe. I think alternators are fairly reliable by design so a remanufactured or aftermarket may give you good bang for the buck. Ebay and Amazon have good deals too. I think Autozone has lifetime warranty.... Check to be sure.

Dwing

Observer
Have it rebuilt if you have the time. I've had to replace/return multiple alt's. Cost much less and you can make sure it's completed with the better parts.

I had good fortune with denso's from 5.9 cummins. 120 amp pulleys line up.
Use a transpo in8315 v regulator.
But my rig is gen 1
Denso cheap to rebuild
mitsu ungodly high in parts.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Parts store brand alternators tend to cause more headaches anything else. Fixes the problem in the short term, but guaranteed to fail a month or two later. A BOSCH , Denso, or sourcing another Mitsu alternator used or new, or even rebuilding the current one are better choices.

+1

Reman parts store alternators are awful. I don't buy them unless i absolutely have to now. And if i do, i have them tested before i leave the store. Half the time they fail out of the box.

The lifetime warranty most offer helps a little bit, but what it really means is that you'll be swapping it out 1-2x a year. For life.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I replaced my wifes Gen 3 Alternator with a Ultima alternator from Oreilly's 3 years ago. So far we haven't experienced any issues with that brand. I honestly would have had the original one rebuilt if time permitted..but the original alternator decided to take a dump during a road trip and that wasn't a option.

raysobi

Adventurer
Im about to do my alternator for my Gen 2, does it need any special tool to change this?

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

KyleT

Explorer
Get a Mitsubishi reman unit. Amazon has hem or go to a local alte rnatir shop. It was cheaper than a parts store reman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears