Gen III Super Select Blinky Lights: A New Twist

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Yeah, I'm intimately familiar with the traditional blinking light problems with the Montero; this one's different. It appeared one morning out of the blue when starting the truck.

Starting up in 2WD, the green lights representing the front wheels blink. Note that I don't have lamps in the lower two positions...the ones that indicate rear wheel engagement (there's no point to them at all)...so am only seeing the front wheel green lights blinking. After driving for a while, they go out (usually) and the orange center lamp illuminates. Here's the twist: all modes function perfectly. 2WD, 4WD, 4HiLock and 4LoLock all function exactly as they're supposed to. When any of the 4WD drive modes are engaged, their lights function normally. It's only when in 2WD that the green lights blink.

Vacuum lines are fine, solenoids are fine, electrical connections are all good. Again, the FUNCTION of the entire 4WD system is perfect. It's just the blinking lights when in 2WD and ONLY when in 2WD.

Has anyone had experience with this gremlin? Nope, nobody has messed with the radio, nobody has fiddled with wiring recently. No changes recently at all. All the switches on top of the transfer case were changed out last year. The 4WD system has been and continues to function perfectly.

Am I in for a trip to the dealer to read the ECU? It's obviously reading some sort of fault condition when the green lights stop blinking and the orange illuminates. I'm assuming that the OBDII system doesn't throw codes for the 4WD system.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
Most likely the freewheel clutch solenoids. Mine tested fine but replacing them from Amazon fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Haole, thanks for that link! I knew about that method but thought it was just for folks without an OBDII reader. Didn't know it covered those drive line codes, too!

Kyle, I appreciate your feedback. Do you have a link or a part number handy?

nckwltn

Explorer
....Note that I don't have lamps in the lower two positions...the ones that indicate rear wheel engagement (there's no point to them at all)...so am only seeing the front wheel green lights blinking.

Ahhh.. there is a purpose behind the rear wheel lights.... when the traction control kicks in and does it's thing... it will flash the wheel that is loosing traction :)

Had the exact same problem in my '03 4wd functions do not work when the center orange is flashing (if you test this, be prepared to have it get stuck in 4wd until you go back to normal state).

It is your free wheel solenoids... super easy to fix, doesn't require removal of any wheels. 20 bucks at amazon will have you good as new. You can actually test the solenoids, there is instruction for it here. They should have some resistance across the electrical contacts... if none, they are bad. Article is specific to the Gen 2/2.5, but the solenoids are (visually) the same.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Haole, thanks for that link! I knew about that method but thought it was just for folks without an OBDII reader. Didn't know it covered those drive line codes, too!

De nada, amigo!

Mine was the freewheel clutch solenoid too, but code 34 more specifically. I got the Mitsu oem part, but ran into a lot of confusion and unanswered questions when searching out the part since it appears to be the same part on several different Mitsu's with different part numbers (and drastically different prices).

Here's the link with the discussion and all the part #s you'll need. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155431-Same-Part-Different-Part-s

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Same problem here, in my case it was due to a crack in the solenoid housing, 15 miles and the light would start flashing. I fixed it with epoxy and tada, no more light. $20 bucks on amazon for new parts.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
You guys are great! I'll get on this when I come up for air in a couple of days.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Yeah, I've had that page bookmarked for several years. What confused me was that, even though the lights started blinking, the system changes modes and functions perfectly.

OK, I pulled the codes per the described method. Code 32: Transfer position switch system (malfunction of transfer shift mechanism or actuator) and Code 34: Freewheel engage solenoid valve system (open circuit/short circuit/malfunction of solenoid valve).

I checked the impedance of the solenoid valves; they both read about 26 ohms, which is lower than the 39 (or 45) suggested by the references above. Of course, since they're separate, independent solenoids that BOTH read 26 ohms and since the system does continue to shift modes properly, that leads me away from the valves as the source of the fault. I'm still confused by the normal 4WD/2WD function. The Code 32 fault sounds more to the point if the position switch is faulty, although I did disconnect the switch on the actuator rod and short the leads and the faults remained. I wonder if I need to clear the ECU of codes, then try that again...hmmm....

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Update: replaced the solenoid valves, no change. Removed and tested the freewheel switch, it tests fine per FSM. The damned system PERFORMS as it should...I took one of my daughters out to play in the mud this evening...but we get the blinking when 2wd selected.

I hate gremlins.

KyleT

Explorer
Is the front wheel green lights blinking or flickering? And get the rear indicator lights fixed so you know if it's possibly all of them blinking and not just the fronts.

Or is it the center orange CDL lock light blinking?

The system resets the faults every time you shut it off.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Is the front wheel green lights blinking or flickering? And get the rear indicator lights fixed so you know if it's possibly all of them blinking and not just the fronts.

Or is it the center orange CDL lock light blinking?

The system resets the faults every time you shut it off.

The front green lights blink steadily in 2wd. They go solid when it shifts to 4wd. The center orange comes on appropriately when the transfer case is locked.

After driving for a while (the time varies) in 2wd, the greens go out and the center orange will flash.

I could put the lamps back into the two spots for the rear wheels, but how would that help with diagnosis?

KyleT

Explorer
Ok that makes more sense.

Start at the freewheel clutch solenoids and work your way from there to the actuator checking the vacuum lines all the way up to the engine as well. Sounds exactly like mine was when the solenoid was bad/leaky.

To avoid the fault just leave the truck in 4wd center diff unlocked.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Kyle,

You're saying that yours behaved exactly like this and that you fixed the problem by swapping in new solenoid valves? I've done that, and have traced the vacuum lines with no problems found. I was kind of hoping to have found a place where a rat chewed through one of the vacuum hoses...that would have made my life much easier!

Yeah, leaving it in 4WD does indeed avoid the fault. It also, however, worsens already abysmal fuel efficiency and adds unnecessary wear to the front driveline.

The search continues....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears