Gen3 Montero vs. Gen3 4Runner

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Anyone can do anything, given enough cash. Pure and simple.

So to me, Dana 60's and all this crazy articulation etc is well outside of the scope of this conversation. All bets are off once you move that far outside of the original factory-engineered design. Everything changes.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I pretty much agree. SAS conversions and 37's are also beyond the scope of most overlanding trips. Most owners here won't ever need that level of modification.

I think we can ALL agree, however, that we all think the Montero is a great platform for a variety of things...mild to wild. After all, that's why we're here! ;)

cap510

Adventurer
My Montero likes to play with jeeps... ;)

DSC02070-s.jpg

and for the most part I can take it thru anything I set my mind to:

DSC02076-s.jpg
DSC02077-s.jpg
DSC02079-s.jpg

been IFS makes it more challenging but honestly that makes it fun too, I like to push the limits on these trucks! :smiley_drive:

What I love the most about Monteros is the fact that you can use it as a DD, take it to the mall, an expedition across country or hit some hard core trails without having to be trailer in and all of these while been IFS.

Not sure if there are other stock IFS rigs that can say that out there.

Perhaps monteros we're not build to be Rockcrawlers but you'll be surprise how well of a platform they are... ;)

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
What I love the most about Monteros is the fact that you can use it as a DD, take it to the mall, an expedition across country or hit some hard core trails without having to be trailer in and all of these while been IFS.

Not sure if there are other stock IFS rigs that can say that out there.

There are others, but I won't derail this thread. Great pics.

viducce

Observer
This vs That isn't really giving a correct scale of capabilities about each vehicle. Sure IFS has limitations but the experience and skill of
the driver is surely to be taken into account... at the end is sums up to just having fun off roading at whatever level each individual can handle...

cuttenkid

Just wanted to say I really like this forum and love my Gen 3 2001 Monty with mild OME lift, wheels, and tires. It works great for doing trail recon for my work with the BlueRibbon Coalition or Quiet Warrior Racing/Consulting.east bay park meeting july 16ss.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78