GenIII Valve Cover Gaskets…How difficult?

Worshington

Observer
Hey Everybody,

I just got a sweet $2,600.00 quote from a mechanic on a timing belt, water pump, cam seal, hydraulic tensioner, fan belt, valve cover gasket, etc. job. I was wondering if anyone out there has done the valve cover gaskets on a GenIII and if they could give me an idea as to how difficult it will be to do them myself. In the past, I have successfully completed the following jobs on various cars:

-oil changes
-installed a new radiator
-brake pads
-rear cam seal (monty)
-Front hub and bearing replacement (hyundai)
-O2 sensor

Do I have a chance at tackling this job? It would save me some serious money...

jhill15

Explorer
Holy crap! That may be highway robbery!!!!

I think I posted on another thread of yours...maybe someone elses I can't remember. But here is what I had done at the dealer for $1500...I also left out a couple things the last time I posted this.

Timing belt
Tensioner
Waterpump
Timing sproket
Drive belt
Thermostat
Valve cover gaskets
Rear cam seals
Plugs
Intake gasket kit
Coolant flush
Oil change
Alignment

And yes that was at a dealer...for $1500!

If you are handy with a wrench and have a place to do it then there is no reason you couldn't at least tackle half of the stuff on you list "says the person who takes his truck to the dealer lol" the reason why I have stopped working on my own rig is basically the lack of a place to do it and time to do it in. None the less if you have a place and time do it yourself. There should be some links on here somewhere to fsm that will give you a pretty detailed description on how to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

montypower

Adventure Time!
Maybe if you have a pulley holder (to properly torque crank bolt), torque wrench, hydrolic tensioner tool and factory manual... There's a lot of parts involved. You are basically removing nearly everything from the front and top of your motor.

If you study the manual and have proper tools and plenty of time, then maybe. If you have limited time, no space, improper tools and no manual it would be a bad decision.

Find a dealer or Mitsu mechanic if you have someone do the work. Use OEM factory parts (not from auto part store).

nckwltn

Explorer
+1 on the OEM parts... saves you from having to do the difficult parts all over again.

If you give yourself some time, and are mechanically inclined, I don't think you'll have problems. get a copy of the FSM and follow the steps.

I did a head gasket job after only having a similar list of jobs under my belt as you. I had the FSM, forums, and several weekends to get the job done on my '99. If you're in a time crunch, might be best to hire the job out. I've since done timing belt, valve cover gaskets on my '03 and haven't had any troubles. It just takes a time and a bit of mechanical intuition (and the FSM!)

I made a pulley holder tool with a couple of flat pieces of metal a hack saw, a drill, and 3/8ths carriage bolts.

14438845018_2c9a7d05e1_z.jpg

14623356354_af33716e4e_z.jpg

I've used a pair of needle nose pliers to help torque the timing belt tensioner.

Valve cover gasket can be done with just regular tools, you don't need anything special. But you'll want to replace the air intake seals at the same time.

Do searches on this forum and 4x4wire (assuming that form is still online). Those sites will point you in the right direction.

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
I have a clutch holding tool from working on dirt bikes and I would say it is one of the most useful tools I own. I flipped it over and used the pins on the back to hold the crank pulley in place when I did my timing belt. Just my .02, as I know you were asking about the valve cover gaskets. Let me know how it goes because I have those gaskets sitting in my room waiting their turn on my to do list.

cacattack

Observer
On a scale from 1-10, it's a 4.

I did them on my 02 Gen 111. The hardest part was getting everything out of the way, such as the intake manifold etc. Once you get that removed, it's an relatively easy job. It certainly looks more intidating than it is. Take lots of pictures and document each bolt that is removed from the intake plenum.

While there, certainly replace the spark plugs.

The good news is, that you can't really screw anything up permanently by trying it yourself, is the way that I looked at it and i'm no mechanic...

You just need patience and a weekend, and maybe a few beers....

Good luck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears