German Ambu Box

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I wonder if it would be possible to adapt one of these G-Wagen boxes ( http://www.custom-campers.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=56&Itemid=41 / http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45652&highlight=camper+box ) or if there were ever anything like this style of ambu box fitted to a D110 ?

I know Steve (110user) fitted a Marshall ambu body ( http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39477&highlight=ambu ). I really like it, but the G-Wagen style box also has its appeal...

Thoughts, please ?

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thanks.

That probably explains my involvement with Rovers :sombrero:

Anyway, as there seems to be a lot out there, just wondering if anyone had seen a similar box on a (military) Rover...

as a friend once told me- anything is possible, but at what cost?

gchinsr

Observer
I have been eying a Toyota pick up with a commercial rear body for sale cheap, just to take the body off. There are a lot of import trucks like these all over you can fit on the back of a 110. Most have a nice flat roof that screams pop top camper. Being a commercial body, they tend to be very durable, and once the shelving is removed, you have a blank canvas. Good luck in your search.
Greg

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Greg,

That's an interesting prospect. Thanks. Perhaps it might be possible to find something that has insulated walls, too. A pop-top would be great, but we need to keep to a fixed roof. The Custom Campers box looks very comfortable, although it does not appear to offer full stand-up interior height... (which I am minding less and less). Also, we would arrange things to allow for passage from cab to cabin.

I will keep an eye out, but unfortunately import trucks of smaller size with commercial rear bodies are not so common here. Nevertheless, it is a much more economical alternative to again importing stuff from Blighty (at great expense).

How do you like your MMB high roof equipped ambu, may I ask ? I have been collecting photos of different HT D110 interior layouts (mostly German stuff (of course), both with and without pop-tops).

Please, let me know if you go ahead with your project idea. I am thinking it would be a good next step for our needs, too.

gchinsr

Observer
Hi Frank
I was really happy to find the only 2dr Hi Top MMB around. There is a night and day difference inside the back. there is an interior height of 4'11" in the back, that makes it very easy to move around compared to a standard roof. All of the commercial bodies I have seen, are about this height as well, ang given the flat walls, would be easy to insulate if needed. With the increased interior capacity, there is no need for a roof rack, and once I get my jerry can lockers installed, I will be able to keep all the heavy components down low. I was planning to add a lift up roof, but given the materials the roof was assembled with, I am starting to worry about the loss of rigidity. Although I can build a interior frame to stiffen it up, I don't want to complicate the build, and destroy the roof in the process, and keep it simple as possible. I will be installing a new motor, and trans when my container arrives from the UK, and will take it out for a trip to gauge the comfort with the standard Hi Top roof. I did purchase a lift up roof for a D110, and will use this if I feel the need to have stand up height,which also give more sleeping options. Time will tell. If you did find something overseas, it really is not that expensive to ship a box home. It might work out better, as you can fill it up with parts to complete your project as well. Time will tell.
Greg

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the feedback on the MMB roof. You were indeed fortunate to get that set-up. We are doing something very similar and I hope it works out for us, at least for now. I agree that the high roof is not substantial enough to support a lift-up roof (or anything else for that matter). The sub-supplier that made ours for MMB forgot to install the hard foam stiffening pieces, so what arrived in a very big box was one very flimsy roof that has had to have a lot more work done to it than ever anticipated. However, I must say that MMB are absolutely great to work with and did everything they could to help correct the situation. I would not hesitate an instant to recommend them highly. We almost went with a new Dormobile roof, also, but in the end decided it was better for us to have a fixed roof. We shall see how it works out. Hopefully, we'll have our car back in the near future and can find out.

gchinsr

Observer
Hi Frank
I am glad you getting that sorted out, and can go forward. It is a bit tough trying to get things done overseas at times.I will say, that the quality of these roofs is outstanding, and endure well over time. There are a few cuts, and chips in the glass, that I will sand, and re coat to protect the roof. Funny you mention a Dormobile, as I started by wanting a Carawagon, for it's rigid roof. The Dormobile's soft sided roof was an issue for both wind, and cold weather heat loss. Having not been able to export a couple overseas, and also unsuccessful in finding a rebuild able roof, I exported Lizzy from the UK, and am quite happy with her. If you can, email me some pic's of your project, would love to see what you have going on. We can throw ideas back and forth, as they are similar. Does your roof have the storage compartment over the front seats? I am thinking of keeping this in, and lower the bed level to extend over the front seats. It makes a nice stuff box, for the light weight bedding storage. Still finalizing the cabinet set up at the moment.
Cheers,
Greg

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the positive words. Yes, still going forward, but it's a challenge at times. We had the same concerns about a Dormobile top, although I do like them very much, and just happened to stumble upon the MMB top. As for the Carawagon, my hands down favorite is the one that Toby Savage has done. It is fantastic ! ! !
I will send a PM with my work address and would really appreciate to discuss ideas, please ! We went for the very basic top, so as to be able to install windows, rather than the "smooth" inside finish option, which comes with that nice locker. However, we do plan to exploit that space above the cab for the same kind of storage. Looking forward to talking about the similar projects ! ! !

:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998