GFC V1 interior latch functionality

dole

I just picked up a used V1 and I am amazed that the basic functionality of being able to lock and then unlock yourself from inside the lower portion of the camper with the tent closed was not built into these. The best solution I have found online is tying it closed with a string, and I want to figure out something more secure than that. Has anyone developed a modification or way to operate the latches from inside? I mean actually getting the latches to be operable from inside or a workaround that is similarly secure. I wonder if you could drill into the housing on the interior side and operate them through there somehow.

This is obviously important for stealth camping or weather related situations. My first thought is lock the latches in closed position with the door ajar so you can’t end up locked inside (the latches being locked closed do prevent the door from closing all the way, leaving gaps), bolt on a chain lock like on the inside of hotel doors and then hang a curtain rod across the rear door to cover the gaps. But that just seems like a ridiculous and relatively unsecure workaround to what should have been an essential function.

Especially crazy that if you have the door closed with the latches open and someone came along and just clicked your latches shut you are trapped inside, and a lot of these don't even have windows to break. I know that's unlikely but the ease of which that situation could happen is uncomfortable.

I am making this thread both to discuss solutions if anyone has had the same thoughts as me, and/or post my solution if I have to just figure something out on my own.

chet6.7

Explorer
I don't have a solution, but I agree you should find a way to avoid being trapped inside.

The lock handle on my ARE would be easy to push in to lock someone in the camper.
I put one of those round master locks on the T handle so it can't be pushed in to the closed position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78