Gifts for Children

College Kid

Adventurer
I am about to adopt my wife's six year old boy. I have been his Dad since he was 3 but we finally getting the paperwork done.

I'd like to get him something to remember the day, (think getting a watch from your dad on graduation day)

I'd like to get him something that he will be excited about at this age, but then be useful for the rest of his life, or at least be a keepsake for the rest of his life.

What are your ideas?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
This sounds like a fantastic idea! I would say a pocket knife, obviously you would have to supervise for a couple of years while he uses it. :camping:

Scott Brady

Founder
A compass can be pretty special too. I gave them to my nephews and they help navigate us along the little hikes we do in the forest. They love it.

haynesdad

Observer
I still have the watch my dad gave me when I turned 4. Its a wind up Timex that probably isnt worth anything, but its one of the things i just will not part with.

College Kid

Adventurer
Compass is a great idea!!!!!

I am thinking about something that I could get engraved, so the knife came to mind right away, although I am not sure how my beautiful wife would feel about it.

My mother came up with binoculars,

Keep the thoughts coming.

College Kid

Adventurer
I really like Scott's idea of a compass, and it made me start thinking that a old school compass would be a pretty prefect gift.

I did a quick search on google to try and find a source for a nice classic style compass. I am thinking something like a turn of the century pocket watch.

Does anyone know of a source for something like this?

compass 2.jpg

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
This sounds like a fantastic idea! I would say a pocket knife, obviously you would have to supervise for a couple of years while he uses it. :camping:
I was thinking a pocket knife also. My wife has a Swiss Army knife with her name engraved on it given to her by her Dad when she was 5 or 6. She always has it with her and uses it regularly. Her Dad gave our son one also with his name engraved when he was 2. Great tradition.

dlh62c

Explorer
I am about to adopt my wife's six year old boy. I have been his Dad since he was 3 but we finally getting the paperwork done.

I'd like to get him something to remember the day, (think getting a watch from your dad on graduation day)

I'd like to get him something that he will be excited about at this age, but then be useful for the rest of his life, or at least be a keepsake for the rest of his life.

What are your ideas?

He's lucky to have you!

Just being there for him is something he'll always remember and treasure forever. Recently I've been cleaning out my parents house and came across my old fishing pole dad gave me. That pole saw hundreds of pedaled miles strapped to a bicycle and tons of trips in rental boats and canoes. It wasn't nothing fancy, I believe it was purchased in an old Woolworth store in the mid to late 60's. I re-rigged it a couple of weeks ago and used it and it brought back plenty of fond memories. I'd give every thing I own to go fishing with my dad again.

Take the day off, dig up some worms, pack a lunch and some drinks and take him fishing!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998