Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

highwest

I used to carry a gardening knee pad in our Tacoma before we installed furniture and a flat tailgate insert. I thought those tailgate inserts, like a Mountain Hatch, were gimmicky, but they save your knees and you spill way less beer.

dstefan

Funny you mentioned Bedrug. I just got a quote for one yesterday from another forum member. I like that they are cushioned rugs which cover the gap and the tailgate. My knees are killing me from kneeling on the tailgate. The factory spray in bed liner is very rough.

I'm still debating buying one since I'll be making some furniture to cover much of the bed anyway. If I go with the see through aluminum tubing design, the bedbug would work nicely, though.

View attachment 737293
Consider also that the Bedrug has 3/4 closed cell foam that makes it an effective insulator for the floor.

Also, if you go that way, I found (at least for the Tundra) that the tailgate flap had thinner foam and the tailgate section of the bedrug stretched and rippled a bit over time with my ins and outs over the tailgate corrugations. I filled the valleys with some closed cell foam underneath the bedrug, which helped, but wished I‘d done it from the get go.

Mules

Consider also that the Bedrug has 3/4 closed cell foam that makes it an effective insulator for the floor.

Also, if you go that way, I found (at least for the Tundra) that the tailgate flap had thinner foam and the tailgate section of the bedrug stretched and rippled a bit over time with my ins and outs over the tailgate corrugations. I filled the valleys with some closed cell foam underneath the bedrug, which helped, but wished I‘d done it from the get go.
Great idea to add padding to the tailgate. I didn't know the Bedrug tailgate section's padding was thinner than the beds

pigsammy

Very nice!
Your project is a great idea, very nicely executed. I'm sure it was an awesome feeling to get it out for the first trip.
We are never satisfied, though. You must continue the interior build updates and/ or begin a new project. We must be entertained,LOL!

Congrats on a job well done.

Mules

Very nice!
Your project is a great idea, very nicely executed. I'm sure it was an awesome feeling to get it out for the first trip.
We are never satisfied, though. You must continue the interior build updates and/ or begin a new project. We must be entertained,LOL!

Congrats on a job well done.
A couple more small items to clean up on the list, and then it's on to round two:

THE INTERIOR BUILD! :unsure:

Mules

Alright I'm a cheapskate and it seams like I buy somethining every week for this build. I'm debating if I want to carpet myself with the furniture build, spend $200 on a floor Bedrug, or $400 for a full bed Bedrug.

One thought occurred to me. Do I need to carpet the entire truck bed for insulation in cold weather?

What do you cold weather campers think? How cold does the truck bed floor get? I'm guessing the extra 3/4" foam on the Bedrug does a good job at insulating the floor and maybe the sidewalls too.

(I'm just trying to justify spending $400 on a full Bedrug. It sure looks nice?)

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 6.51.01 PM.png

1000arms

... What do you cold weather campers think? How cold does the truck bed floor get? ...
:unsure: ... When I camp in my pickup truck at -20 F, the floor of my pickup bed is at -20 F. ... :cool:

I use a bed-frame made of 2 long pieces of 2x6 placed flat with cross members of 2x6 placed flat and screwed to the 2 long pieces. This air gap lets me use a futon mattress above the bed-frame while allowing airflow. I know your bed will be way above the bed of your Jeep. ... I'm not a fan of slippers, but, insulated slippers might make some people very happy while camping in cold weather. :)

Beware things that will collect and trap condensation while camping to help avoid mold/mildew/rust/... .

A removable piece of plywood cut to fit between the wheel-wells plus some removable carpet attached to the plywood might make a nice floor?

Or maybe use the plywood as a mounting point for other items you want held in place while traveling and camping? Then a bit of removable carpet for the center walkway?

Remember that you will need airflow for fresh air and to remove moisture exhaled in your breath.

1000arms

Not a bad solution for $40. Cheap puzzle mat foam.

That might work quite well! You could always put a piece of plywood under it to smooth out the Jeep-bed floor if you decide you would like a less-corrugated floor. Light-colored foam might make it seem a bit bigger in there, and would make it easier to spot dropped objects and/or critters compared to dark/black foam.

86scotty

Cynic
I'd probably do what I usually do to van floors. 1/2" rigid foam from Lowes/HD (cheaper than cheap) and 1/2 ply on top of that with your choice of floor covering. I like rubbery, grippy stuff. It will be the most expensive piece. I can't see carpeting the floor of an off road truck. Once sand/grit/dust gets in it never completely gets out.

dstefan

Alright I'm a cheapskate and it seams like I buy somethining every week for this build. I'm debating if I want to carpet myself with the furniture build, spend $200 on a floor Bedrug, or $400 for a full bed Bedrug.

One thought occurred to me. Do I need to carpet the entire truck bed for insulation in cold weather?

What do you cold weather campers think? How cold does the truck bed floor get? I'm guessing the extra 3/4" foam on the Bedrug does a good job at insulating the floor and maybe the sidewalls too.

(I'm just trying to justify spending $400 on a full Bedrug. It sure looks nice?)

View attachment 737569
Well, IF you go with a bed rug of any sort AND you are concerned about cold/insulation value, consider that the walls and wheel wells a tailgate at least equal the square footage of the floor. You may not walk on them, but the amount of conductive temperature transfer is huge.

I can’t see just insulating the floor and not the rest of the bed, unless you’re also planning forced air heating during the night, or just aren‘t concerned about the cold at all.

Building your interior out with just with floor insulation will make it a real PITA later if you change your mind later to add sidewall insulation.

But, it all depends how and where you think you‘re gonna use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears