Glasbord, anyone?

G-force

Adventurer
I have a supplier here in Norway, that speaks highly of his board produkt, called Glasboard. It is a fiber reinforced plastic sheet, 2,3 mm thick (1/11 inch ??) with slightly bubbly surface. Very easy to keep cleen, due to a surface treatment called Surfaseal.
This Glasboard comes as a stand alone, or sandwiched to different products. 10 mm plywood, 10 mm styrofoam between to layers of Glasboard, or the most interesting one, a 8 mm hollow lamel board with great strenght and low weight.
This supplier here says its a US product. Is there any of you that has heard of such a board?? I know there exists a few different versions of similar products, but anything with this name?
Its mainly use is inside walls of cooling and frezer rooms.

Reason for asking here, is because im interessted to see if this can be used as wall hardware for trailer construction. Olmost all questions has been answered by the supplier, exept UV tolaration. How will this board stand up to the rays of the sun . . . . .

Thanks, everyone.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Hi,

Here in the US of A we refer to it as "FRP" or fiberglass reinforced panel. Glas board is a brand name, which offers smooth as well as a "pebble" like finish. It is NOT UV tolorant, and eventually will break down after exposure to the sun.

I used the FRP it in my sidewalls of my trailer construction, applied to plywood. I used spray contact adhesive and applied directly to PTS ply(finished one side), which is used for floor underlayment, but most importantly, is manufactured with an exterior grade glue.

After construction of the box I lightly sanded the FRP, wiped it down with cleaner, and sprayed a Rustoleum Plastic Primer on it. Then I finished it off with a Rustoleum Enamel finish. It's stored outside and the finish is showing no signs of failure.

If I was going to build completely new I would have opted for a product called Filon..it's used in RV exterior wall construction, and is very durable as well, also UV compliant....but is very pricey!

Good luck, Pat

milpigjk

This sounds like FRP ( Fiber Riesen Panel) it is used in dair and meat packing operations beacause it is non water proof and easy to sterilize. I have not seen it as a premade laminate here though.

I am however not a builing expert and it may be available.

I have considered this for the inside of my trailer as it is waterproof and very tough as long as you do not bend it.

G-force

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

Then it was as expected. No UV tolorance. I`ve been thinking about the "paint option" but it would be great to get some boards that have all the specs that i need. Something like the Filon.

Regarding prise, these boards are about 100 USD pr square mtr, about 11 USD pr square feet. That is then for the "sheet on plywood" version. For just the 2,3 mm Glasboard, the prise is 40 USD pr square mtr.

BTW: love your trailer build, Pat. Just spent an hour and a half, reading it. Looking forward to see your new frame-build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman