GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Choff

Adventurer
New Denali GMC Wheels

2005 GMC AWD Savana Conversion Van
The Chrome rims and tires that came on our conversion van were junk , winters are hard on Chrome, so!!!
I ended up getting 265/17 GMC Denali Rims and Goodyear Tires on E-Bay for $250 for set , yes all 4 rims and tires.
Tires were so so and I ended up putting on new Goodyear Tripple tread tires on, Boy does it go through snow great.
And yes it did through the speeo off about 4miles hr. at 70mph--drive with GPS anyway.
Choff

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
I saw this in BMW's AWD Van thread and figured it could shed some light on things............

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Is the drivers side side doors an RPO code? Or can you tell by VIN? Curious how to make my online searches more efficient. Trying to find an AWD with drivers side doors is difficult!

Hmmm. That I don't know. What I can tell you is I have only found the driver side doors on early model year van's. 2004/2005. For whatever that is worth.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Thanks. I seem to only find them on new $60k conversion vans. A little more digging in one of the GM Upfitter docs and I think the code is E26. I don't think it's going to help much though as the codes aren't something most will list online.

Also finding model year update change info a little hard to come across. Trying to find the "ideal" year to search for. Looks like 2008 was a minor refresh with newer dash controls and next gen engines. Other than standard equipment changing over the years, anything else I should be aware of? My hope is to find a rig to daily drive and do a very light / transformer-ish conversion to. Thinking more day trip home base with the kids than boondocker.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Nice finds! Those ads go to show that there isn't a single way the drivers side doors are described. Oh well, makes the search that much more challenging! Definitely seems way more common on conversion vans than regular passenger vans.

Choff

Adventurer
You will not find too many reg pass. vans or cargo vans with doors on both sides, the conversion vans seam to have been the answer for side doors behind drivers door, I have them and love the doors.
Good luck finding one to suit your needs.
full time AWD is the best all around driving on a full size van, goes through almost anything!!, had mine in 12" of snow and did not get stuck!

dleeallen

Adventurer
Thanks Choff. The decision process is a tough one. The AWD would be awesome for daily driver needs, but extended length would be great to better fit the family of four. Pop top would help solve sleeping arrangements but that's a whole 'nother challenge to find. Decisions, decisions...

For the sake of this thread, I think an open question is still about model years differences. And specifically if there are 'better' years than others, or trims and options. Essentially, what is important to look for in the van vs what can be installed later. Seems like cruise control can be added easily? I would think modern things like bluetooth for phone and music, back up camera, etc.. aren't too terrible to add from the aftermarket.

What are folks thoughts about that? What do you wish your van had for factory options?

Choff

Adventurer
The nice thing about the conversion van, ( and belive me I have converted about 4 vans in my life), is that they are done, just enjoy and travel, My wife and I camp in our van, sleeping off the ground is the best, you could put the kids in a drive away type tent attached to the van?? more room.

I do wish Vans had duel temp controls-they don't.??
I have up graded to aftermarket in dash with everything, blue tooth, dvd, remote to TV overhead with remote headsets, and back up cam. that was a $1000 dollar spent well.
I have put a 100,000 miles since bought van second hand, it only had 43,000 miles and was price at $24,995 not bad for AWD and everything on it.
They are out their just keep looking
Enjoy the road!!!
Choff

86cj

Explorer
Is the drivers side side doors an RPO code? Or can you tell by VIN? Curious how to make my online searches more efficient. Trying to find an AWD with drivers side doors is difficult!

You are right E-26 was the RPO for drivers doors and it ended in 2014 but was not available in regular pass vans after the side curtain airbag rule change after 2007 I think. The conversion companies bought incomplete vehicles and re-titled them so the airbag rule was not enforced on their orders.

BTW: there is a thread for finding vans for sale here, try to keep this thread on point. :ylsmoke:............alot of great info and easy to find...........

perchancetodream

Used GM AWD Fleet Vans - many miles per year

Having missed the opportunity to grab the last of the GM AWD gas engine vans new, I'm looking in the used market for a cargo version as a versatile base vehicle for hauling, travel, camping, everyday, adventure. What I'm seeing here in Colorado are fleet vans with 35,000 - 45,000 miles per year, ladder racks and commercial steel bins, resale dealer prices in the high teens and low twenties. The high mileage and possible heavy loading would seem to make these high risk. Or are these vans able to go through that kind of commercial use, then just keep on going and going and going for...forever?

dleeallen

Adventurer
You are right E-26 was the RPO for drivers doors and it ended in 2014 but was not available in regular pass vans after the side curtain airbag rule change after 2007 I think. The conversion companies bought incomplete vehicles and re-titled them so the airbag rule was not enforced on their orders.

BTW: there is a thread for finding vans for sale here, try to keep this thread on point. :ylsmoke:............alot of great info and easy to find...........

Good call on the side curtain airbags causing issue on passenger vans. Makes sense why I haven't seen any other than conversion or cargo. Thanks for that.

Certainly didn't mean to derail the info thread with vans for sale. Was looking for more details about the vans so I would know why to look for in the ads. The info has been very helpful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior