GM to discontinue H-2

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of the H-1 Alpha, but it looks like GM is having a problem with Hummer.

Hummer H-2 Eats It.
By Hank Green http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/350/hummer-h2-eats-it.html;_ylt=AshpV7XDFbOyE8zQMxiumcaAV8cX
GM and Hummer have officially decided to discontinue the Hummer H2 after years of lagging sales and a good deal of negative publicity that the car has brought to GM.

While the car remains popular, the Hummer brand in general, and the H2 specifically, have been on a continual sales slide for the last five years or so. The vehicle, which is the most inefficient SUV on the road, has become less appealing since gas prices have more than tripled in the last 10 years.

GM has also bemoaned that its "iconic" vehicle has such a negative stigma with a large and growing portion of the population while the world's largest company, Toyota, has the Prius as its iconic vehicle.

The question is, what vehicle will replace the H2 as GM's icon in the next 10 years? The bad news is that GM is going to keep selling the car in its current incarnation until 2011 at least, possibly hanging around until 2014. But development on updated H2s, and the planned diesel version, have both been canceled. Hummer will keep making cars, but will concentrate on the smaller H3, and the even smaller upcoming biofueled HX.

HummerGuy.net points out that there have been no set time lines and it's possible that GM could still change its mind on this one. And while that is certainly true, I just don't see room for the H2 in the consumer market place any longer. Let's hope that this focus on efficiency and consumer demand for greener-looking companies will have real effects on vehicle efficiency in the next 10 years.

-Ben

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
The bad news is that GM is going to keep selling the car in its current incarnation until 2011 at least, possibly hanging around until 2014. But development on updated H2s, and the planned diesel version, have both been canceled.

Kind of a misleading title on the Yahoo story considering this... It's going to be a while before it's gone.

Pete

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
According to other articles on-line the point is that GM promised a second generation H-2 (2010) W/ a diesel & an E-85 option, but was unable to do so. There is no need to make a 2nd gen, if the first gen is not selling.

They will continue the first gen past the expected run to avoid a costly redesign in hopes of making a profit.

-Ben

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
FlyNdrive said:
According to other articles on-line the point is that GM promised a second generation H-2 (2010) W/ a diesel & an E-85 option, but was unable to do so. There is no need to make a 2nd gen, if the first gen is not selling.

They will continue the first gen past the expected run to avoid a costly redesign in hopes of making a profit.

-Ben

Ah, gotcha. So they're doing a takeback on their promise.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

The way things are going we may need to delete this section altogether since there won't be a full size vehicle produced anymore. Will be curious in the coming few years to see if Toyota drops it's one ton duallie program and it's full size Tundra. Lets face it, the days of a big vehicles like my suburban with V8's are almost gone; you won't be able to afford to fill it up much less take a trip with it. My kids will have to drive roller skates and off-roading will be driving down some dirt road, because all of the trails will be closed due to environmental concerns. What a shame, so much for the fun of a weekend cruise just driving for the fun of it.

Pete Wilson

I'm with you Andre. I can't believe anyone would buy such a big SUV with such limited room inside. That thing is squished! I can't even adjust the seat so my head doesn't hit the roof! Gas hog yuppie mobile that's a status vehicle around here! Adios... :rolleyes:

Bjorn

Ivan

Lost in Space
pete.wilson said:
Hey

The way things are going we may need to delete this section altogether since there won't be a full size vehicle produced anymore. Will be curious in the coming few years to see if Toyota drops it's one ton duallie program and it's full size Tundra. Lets face it, the days of a big vehicles like my suburban with V8's are almost gone; you won't be able to afford to fill it up much less take a trip with it. My kids will have to drive roller skates and off-roading will be driving down some dirt road, because all of the trails will be closed due to environmental concerns. What a shame, so much for the fun of a weekend cruise just driving for the fun of it.

Pete Wilson

I wouldn't go that far. Keep in mind that the rise in gas prices is, in part, thanks to the declining dollar.

Give us some time to get out of this slump, and I bet we'll see relatively cheap gas again [using the economic faux pas of the 70's as a reference]

I wish they would have built the H2 on the 2500 platform instead of the Tahoe. Methinks the Duramax/Allison combo would have been brilliant in promoting diesels, and would have opened the door to more diesels in smaller vehicles (such as the H3, which is a pretty good vehicle IMHO, and the rest of the platform).

It's a bit of a shame that the H2 is biting the dust. At least they were promoting not only off-roading (to a point), but vehicle-based exploration. What other brand is currently running any ad campaigns similar to the H2? Maybe Jeep, but it's still not in the same spirit, and it doesn't have the clear message of "go out and explore".

But that's just my 2 cents (which are probably worth more in copper than USD right now :p )

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Ivan said:
Keep in mind that the rise in gas prices is, in part, thanks to the declining dollar.
In some part due to oil starting to trade more in some foreign currencies, but last I looked oil was still mostly traded in USD. I guess one could argue however that trading oil in an inflating currency would only inflate the price :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears