GMC Ambulance

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
2wd

3 buckets and an area rug? Glamper. :wavey:

I was, and had been for the past few years, living in that rig. It's still my main ride.:sombrero: At the moment we are living in a compound of out-buildings/trailers, when not traveling. Spent part of the summer looping up the Eastern Sierras to the Black Rock Desert and back down through Death Valley. 1500 miles in the "She Beast"

The van and bow-top trailer is the set-up I've been living in. The van (`70) has the original (stock) 302 w/ duall exhaust, 3 speed on the tree,245/75/16 BFG TA's on the rear and 225's on the front, RW drive. And before that another `70 w/ the same engine (it got moved over w/ some other things). All total I've spent the last 13 years living in these rigs out west. Loads and loads of dirt miles, Baja, all the western deserts, some of the NWest. 30 years living in rigs, designing and building some out now, Live-In's
Until this year it's all been 2WD:sombrero:

Attachments

• PA230001.JPG
    PA230001.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 29

Cody1771

Explorer
that thing is HEAVY a D60 wouldnt cut it, your looking at a D70, or possibly a 2 ton front diff from a 5500 or even a non-top-load style rockwell axle. D70 probaby would be the easiest swap but $$$, honestly, id just go with some bigger tires, lift, and a rear locker. save yoursef the extra hassle and it will be more reiable, a good winch would be more benificial than 4wd in that thing imo

Caduceus

Adventurer
MC Taco, That won't be a problem at all. I was going to remove it and the Gurney bars next to the pile of wood if you needed that. What kind of ambulance do you have? What ever else you may need, just let me know. I might have it in there. The 4x4 is just an idea/dream, I do feel like i will stick to the 2wd and get a really good winch. When the 4x4 is necessary I'll get a rig that was designed for it. Maybe eventually put a lift and some bigger tires. Any here ever explore off road in there 2wd rigs?

You might want to check which gurney they're working with before you send the bars over. That looks like it'd work for most Ferno gurneys. If they're using Stryker, it may not work. Just thought you might save a few bucks on shipping.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
We've got an old Ferno. All of the other bits got out except that hook. I couldn't get my fat sockets on the bolt heads. Damn Truck Academy guys cut it up before I could get to it again.

On a side note, anyone who wants to donate a Stryker* to us won't be turned away.

*Gurney or otherwise. :Wow1:

chasespeed

Explorer
I really have to enforce the 2wd thing...... Simpler.

Our plows out here, are 2wd... chains, and a few yards of sand... and these dumptrucks can scale just about any mountain road in any conditions....

Thats a BIG truck to be taking anywhere too far off a fire road...

A PTO winch from a duece and a half, or 5 ton military truck, would be better served, coupled with some traction tires......

Chase

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Nice BEAST! YOU can do it!

DSC_0600.jpg

DSC_0612.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0042Large.jpg

DSC_0086Large.jpg

DSC_0090Large.jpg

:chef:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
The board rack distracted me for a moment. Then I saw the couch. Then I saw that it was a hide-a-bed! Too cool.

Looking forward to your progress Jason.

Jason124

Naterry, Where did you get that couch from? Can you stand up in your ambu? I'm 5'10 and have room to spare. I like your set up alot? Did you run into any problem putting in that side window? Thanks

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Cheers and thanks for the compliments!

The build thread is here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34160&highlight=ute

The couch was from one of main RV furniture suppliers, can't remember which one off the top of my head. I'll see if I can dig it up, and it might be in the build thread somewhere.

Height was an issue. 5' 9" floor to ceiling.. I had plans to do a hinging top but sold the rig to build an expo mog.

Windows are a breeze. See the thread for that too. Very easy.

More pics here: http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/naterry/?start=all

Best,
N8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman