GMC Savana AWD De-Conversion (Dodge Ram replacement)

House Battery, Charger, Inverter, Solar Controler

Added 2 AGM 31's under the rear sofa/bed, wired with 1/0 back to engine compartment, thru a solenoid & fuse to the starting battery. Batteries connected with time-delay switch after starting to allow alternator to charge house batteries, or manual connection for jumping via alligator clip moved from it's home on the airbox to the positive battery terminal.

Additional fuse panel installed behind panel that the main disconnect switch and Rogue solar control panel are mounted to.

Rogue MPT-2024. I will be installing 2x 105w 24v flexible panels to the roof... as soon as spring thaw happens..

Hookups! PowerMax Boondocker PM4B 60A, drop the cord out the back door & plug-in:

Xantrex ProWatt 600:

Last edited:
Dometic Truck Fridge TJ 22

Decided on the Dometic Truck Fridge. Replaced fan prior to installing... super quiet and efficient Noctua NF-F12. I bent a piece of sheet metal and attached it with 3m double vhb tape to create a sealed tunnel to allow cooling air to be pulled thru cabinet for the compressor. The tunnel is sealed at both cabinet ends to prevent heat from the compressor from contact with the rest of the fridge. The entire body of the fridge was then wrapped in 1" recycled denim insulation with foil bubble wrap on top of that - very efficient, batteries can run it for 4-days in summer conditions. Peel & stick cork for the front face and top of cabinet. Shelving created above fridge with pull out shelves/drawers. 80/20 construction, the entire cabinet is mounted to the OEM seat base as is the porta potty that is pictured.

The conversion van seat folds into a bed quickly with the push of a button. Having the ability to buckle 4-5 adults is nice to have at times, and couch mode on day trips is important for the extra space in the middle of the van & transporting bikes inside at the rear.

The bad: the bed is not real comfortable - short at 60" in length, and the 3 sections are not real smooth/level. The use of a mattress topper cut to size alleviates the smoothness, but creates a new problem of storing the bulky thing when in couch mode - impromptu "let's just stay the night here..", and the topper is at home in the garage.

Solution: Extend bed to 73" & custom cushions. The 60" bed was against the rear doors; an extension platform in the front would create another piece of furniture taking up available space when in couch mode. To add the extra length the seat was moved forward 10" - max allowed without relocating seat belts - and a folding extension bolted to the seat back. An additional 3" was found by repositioning the seat base and back on the frame - drilling new mounting holes. Custom cushions are 2" memory foam glued to 1" high-density foam, wrapped, Velcro between sections, and the seat & back cushions are left in place when in couch mode - only the center cushion needs to be stored in back.

Last edited:

mike.marcacci

Adventurer
I literally thought you were transporting giant granite slabs in the back of your van :) awesome looking build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drsmonkey

Observer
Clever set up on the 80/20-bungee drawers above the fridge. Took a minute to figure out, but I think I am understanding how they function. Might have to borrow that idea if you don't mind.

Choff

Adventurer
I have used my 2005 GMC Savana AWD Conversion van for everything!! Have put a 100,000 since I bought it 8 years ago.
Loaded drywall, took all the chairs and bunk out for moving, Sleep in it almost every trip we take, Use it for sking and deer hunting with trailer ( for the deer) and drive it daily!!!

I have thought about taking all the ground effects off of our van, but I do think on road it help the Gas mileage. I have taken the front off a few times to fix it , keep hitting ****, but then I went to 17" tall tires and rims and ride height, it has helped in winter.

GREAT JOB ON YOUR VAN OCCASIONALDIRT !!!!
Choff

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Gamiviti roof rack towers

Roof rack in progress - waiting on some 80/20 bits to finish mounting the 2nd solar panel, side rails to connect across the 3 towers, etc. Gamiviti 30/60 rain gutter towers - made right here in Colorado - awesome fit and finish, very strong, great service, etc. I ordered 3 sets of towers & nearly pulled the trigger on one of their expo roof racks custom-sized for the Savana... but, between the Yakima box, solar panel, and kayak(s), the rack would not have been utilized. So, I went with 80/20 1"x2" crossbars at 53-54 inches, the van tapers toward the rear. The crossbars are mounted under the tower tops and thru bolted with 3/16" hardware to match the Gamiviti bits - about as low profile as a roof rack could get, 1" above the van in the middle. Solopower (now defunct) 95w 24v panel 3m vhb'd to the top - opens 45 degrees from either side to allow tilt when parked. Panel is 83" x 16".

http://www.gamiviti.com

I have used my 2005 GMC Savana AWD Conversion van for everything!! Have put a 100,000 since I bought it 8 years ago.
Loaded drywall, took all the chairs and bunk out for moving, Sleep in it almost every trip we take, Use it for sking and deer hunting with trailer ( for the deer) and drive it daily!!!

I have thought about taking all the ground effects off of our van, but I do think on road it help the Gas mileage. I have taken the front off a few times to fix it , keep hitting ****, but then I went to 17" tall tires and rims and ride height, it has helped in winter.

GREAT JOB ON YOUR VAN OCCASIONALDIRT !!!!
Choff

Thanks! Van life is great, the AWD GM is definitely plush vs. my past Aerostar, vw's, Dodge, etc. Just goes about things without wheel spin.

Last edited:
I never considered a conversion van until this thread! "subscribing!"

Conversion vans are great... a few quick mods & they are usable campers while you work out additional changes... fly, buy, and drive camptrip. Plus they are more plush than plumber cargo vans, easy to find used having 1 owner and low mileage, and cheap vs. trucks/suv in the CO market.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78