gmc savanna conversion

Gunracer1

i picked up a 01 gmc savanna with a 5.0 vortec gas motor. i plan on putting a set of 1 ton axles and some 33's or so in it. i have checked around and dont seem to find any reference to converting one to 4x4 operation. im thinking a 4l60e from a 96 to 2000 gm pickup with t case and front drive shaft. i have a 2003 frod hp 60 i am planing on putting in the front. this will mainly be for road running between texas and colorado and some high county camping.
i had planned on doing a ford diesel but this just kind of dropped in my lap. so here i go.

zuren

Adventurer
Not sure if this will be helpful for you:

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Products/GMProducts/GMProductsOverview.aspx

There are a lot more 4x4 Fords out there vs. GMs and there are no DIY-type kits available that I am aware of (e.g. UJoint). I think the IFS on the GM vans requires a lot more fabrication for a conversion. I don't think its a simple matter of throwing some axles, transfer case, drive shafts, etc. under it like a Ford van. I'd be interested to see what you come up with as I am considering a GM van as well.

Good luck!

oskimba

I have an '02 Chevy Express converted to 4x4 by http://www.salemkroger.com/. I bought it used but it's my understanding they used all Ford F350 takeoffs for the front end conversion. One downside is the need to redrill the Ford rotors to match the Chevy pattern in the rear.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Boulder off road does chevy vans all the time. They like chevys over fords. Everyone I have seen they just fab up some spring hangers and use leafs pretty simple and straight forward. If I was to do it from scratch I would use the factory spring mounts (coil) and 5 link it. Those spring mounts are a major part of the frame and is always looks a little odd when you do not use them and they just hang out there not being used. Either way chevy vans do look cool when converted. Good luck with it.
Derek

jlane330

Boulder off road does chevy vans all the time. They like chevys over fords. Everyone I have seen they just fab up some spring hangers and use leafs pretty simple and straight forward. If I was to do it from scratch I would use the factory spring mounts (coil) and 5 link it. Those spring mounts are a major part of the frame and is always looks a little odd when you do not use them and they just hang out there not being used. Either way chevy vans do look cool when converted. Good luck with it.
Derek

Those spring mounts don't have to hang out there unused...that's what a plasma cutter is for :coffeedrink: At least that's what I did with mine. They look big, but really aren't that substantial. I replaced mine with some coilover 'hoops' I made. I'll start a build thread at some point when I'm more complete, but the basics are:

Radius arms up front similar to SuperDuty
2.5" King CO's
GM Dana 60 cut/sleeved into drivers drop low pinion
Alcan rear spring packs
Bilstein 7100's in the back (and for steering stabilizer)
35's on H2 wheels, no fender trimming (front moved 2" forward)
5" suspension lift over stock (10" total travel, 5" UP, 5" DOWN)
T-Case will be Ford NP205 divorced behind stock 4L85E trans.
Homebuilt driveway build...

Oh yeah, my van has a Duramax ('06 Savanna). Not sure how it'd work with a gasser in there.

Gunracer1

Well I picked up a 99 suburban 4x4 for a doner rig. What do you think the chances of putting the whole front end in the van. As in motor tranny tcase and frame with ifs?

zuren

Adventurer
Well I picked up a 99 suburban 4x4 for a doner rig. What do you think the chances of putting the whole front end in the van. As in motor tranny tcase and frame with ifs?

Given enough time and money, you could make anything work. Are you certain the frame rail spacing is the same? I was told Express vans have a wider frame than their Chevy truck cousins. You may be in store for cobbling a lot of stuff together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears