GMT400 vs GMT800 Suburban

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Either way they'll be a good vehicle for the most part. I've had a GMT400 - '99 Yukon, a GMT 800 (2000) Suburban and (2003) Yukon Denali and a GMT 900 (2009) Suburban. They were all good vehicles. Drive a few and see which you like best. Personally I thought the leather buckets in the GMT 800 Yukon Denali were some of the most comfy I have been in.

Yes, I agree! I've posted this before but it's fun to talk about so I'll post it again: My sister and brother-in-law had to borrow my Suburban a couple of years ago to move a large item (a mattress, I think.) Now, they both drive pretty nice cars (Sister drives an Audi SUV and B-I-L drives an Audi sport sedan.) When they brought it back to me they said they were impressed by how comfortable the seats were. I said to them "yes, it's like driving your living room couch down the freeway."

B-I-L corrected me and said "No, it's like driving your WHOLE LIVING ROOM down the freeway!" :D

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The 2500 isn't that bad when empty, my wife drives our 2003 just fine several times a week and the toddler has no problem falling asleep in it. Ours has the 6.0 and tows our big boat "okay" over 8000+ foot passes. A year ago October we took a road trip to Maine and back, it was a whole different beast at sea level than where we live at 4500 feet, the 6.0 would be more than enough power for you down in Texas. If you feel the need for more power down the road there are tons of options for the 6.0, just don't waste your money on replacing the exhaust because you will actually lose power down low.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
And if you do pursue an 8.1, make sure you read up on the oil consumption issues many of them had and ask the current owner how much oil their truck used between changes, if they try to tell you otherwise then keep looking. I like the 8.1 and they tow like a diesel, but they suck gas like no other and they use 1 to 2 quarts of oil between changes. A good read on the 6.0's available power https://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-cam-adds-71-hp-stock-6-0l-ls-no-low-end-loss/

lilkia

Roland keep watching Craigslist. Im in deep deep south TX so I was watching from brownsville to texarkana. There were a lot of 2500s with less than 140k for well under 10k and several 8.1s for right around 10k with 100k on them around houston to dallas. They were just all liftgates. Make sure you search 2500 suburban, 2500 yukon, 3/4 sub/yuk, 3/4 ton sub/yukon. It takes longer but you will be surprised what you find that didnt come up with one or the other.
And dont worry about the 2500 ride it isnt bad at all. The only way it will rattle you to death is if the shocks and bushings are shot.

CampStewart

Observer
the 6/0 has a lot of pep, I would make sure I needed the 8.1 before buying one. As mentioned before you pay a big gas mileage penalty with one. Stock gearing with 6.0 is 3.73. I think 4.10 was an option and might help with towing. I live in the flatlands and 3.73 works for me towing up to 10k on occasion

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
the 6/0 has a lot of pep, I would make sure I needed the 8.1 before buying one. As mentioned before you pay a big gas mileage penalty with one. Stock gearing with 6.0 is 3.73. I think 4.10 was an option and might help with towing. I live in the flatlands and 3.73 works for me towing up to 10k on occasion

2-3 mpg difference is huge if you do a lot of trips, that's about 100 miles per tank. We can go just over 500 miles on a tank with ours.

plumber mike

Adventurer
2-3 mpg difference is huge if you do a lot of trips, that's about 100 miles per tank. We can go just over 500 miles on a tank with ours.
I think this is an accurate statement on an unloaded vehicle. As soon as weight gets added, the 6.0 has to work harder to do the same work as the 8.1. Then fuel mileage drops on the 6 much faster than the 8.
The 6.0 in our 12 Silverado always gets the job done, but the 8.1 in the 01 Yukon makes it feel like it’s not doing a job. The 5.3 in the wife’s 07 Tahoe falls flat on its face when any weight is noticed, but it’s a great engine for pulling just a few passengers.
I think the 5.7 in the 400’s was a much torque-ier feeling engine than the 5.3. The 6.0 feels much more similar to the 5.7 in that regard.
All of them have been very reliable for us. The 5.3 uses about a quart in 3000 miles. The 8.1 can guzzle up to two quarts in the same distance, and the 6.0’s I’ve had have never drank a drop.

plumber mike

Adventurer
My 1990 V2500 with a manual trans is still my all time favorite. I miss that truck very much. No one else in my family does. It was a real truck and rode as such

lilkia

I think this is an accurate statement on an unloaded vehicle. As soon as weight gets added, the 6.0 has to work harder to do the same work as the 8.1. Then fuel mileage drops on the 6 much faster than the 8.
The 6.0 in our 12 Silverado always gets the job done, but the 8.1 in the 01 Yukon makes it feel like it’s not doing a job. The 5.3 in the wife’s 07 Tahoe falls flat on its face when any weight is noticed, but it’s a great engine for pulling just a few passengers.
I think the 5.7 in the 400’s was a much torque-ier feeling engine than the 5.3. The 6.0 feels much more similar to the 5.7 in that regard.
All of them have been very reliable for us. The 5.3 uses about a quart in 3000 miles. The 8.1 can guzzle up to two quarts in the same distance, and the 6.0’s I’ve had have never drank a drop.

This is a very accurate statement. My 8.1 sees 1-2 mpg less than the old 6.0 unloaded. If i stay around 2300rpm (70+mph) its an mpg or less different than my old 6.0. The problem is the torque is just so easy to play with. Coming back to TX when I bought it from the east coast I got 13.5mpg over 1400miles.
Loaded and towing the 8.1 sees 1-2 to better than the 6.0 ever did. If youre pulling heavy with hilly areas look for an 8.1. If youre averaging 5-6k lbs all in (+sub) in relatively flat or rolling country go with the 6.0

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thanks all for the input. I'm leaning towards a 2500 at this point, a GMT800 2500 with an 8.1 was already near the top of my list prior to lilkia's input but they are tough to come by. The 6.0 is obviously way more common.

I was reading over your original question and intended use, and everything is pointing to a 1500 truck. Why are you now leaning g towards a 2500? They are more expensive to buy, more expensive to fix, break more often, much worse mpg.

2500 are more rare than 1500 but come at a huge cost of ownership.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I was reading over your original question and intended use, and everything is pointing to a 1500 truck. Why are you now leaning g towards a 2500? They are more expensive to buy, more expensive to fix, break more often, much worse mpg.

Why, because the OP is an intelligent being and knows that none of what you just claimed is true....

CampStewart

Observer

Kooky Talk. In the series that have been discussed 2500 has stronger frames, much stronger transmissions, much stronger axles, much better brakes, and better coolers for power steering, transmission, and engine. A much easier argument is to point out the silliness of using 1/2 ton gm transmissions and axles for a vehicle that will be modified for severe use.

rayra

Expedition Leader
3.73 with a G80 locker and a 4L60E, in the 4wd GMT800s, typically. All three of which are typically denigrated ad nauseum on most forums. Usually by folks that don't own them.

1) People break the locker if they keep their foot in it while slamming up a rutted hillclimb or jump the vehicle. Same way people bust frotn lockers on Jeeps.
2) The trans dies due to differential heating / failed pump seal if you run it for extended high RPMs / 250F+ trans heat or grossly overburden it towing heavy things up long grades.
3.) 3.73s are tall enough for tall tires. Leading to higher sustained revs on the highway. See item #3.

Drive reasonably, none of those problems occur.

Too, I put a large aftermarket trans cooler on my Sub and now the trans temps never exceed ~175F, even going up the Grapevine on the hottest days of the year. Running fast on flat highways it rarely exceeds 40F over ambient. I think such a cooler is a must-have improvement for anyone towing with the 4L60E. The factory external cooler is tiny and ill-placed AND that only comes on vehicles equipped with the Towing package. Fix that right away, doesn't cost much to do. Mine is plumbed AFTER the trans cooling lines pass thru the radiator tank (which GM designed that way to be a trans warmer, not a cooler, btw)

eta as to the OP's question, I've said it in many similar topics. The 800s are in their 'prime' right now. You can find a decent one for $5-6k. Repairs are easy and inexpensive, parts are abundant. Find one outside the Rust Zone and drive it home. I've had the full gamut of niggling problems, mostly detailed in the links in my sig. Straightforward fixes for everything, I do all the work I can myself. I've had my '02 Sub for ~4yrs (140k mi now) and recently sold our '05 Tahoe Z71 at just under 200k mi, still running strong.
There's a mid-series split in the GMT800s, 2002-2002, 2003-2006. By an '05 or '06 if you can find it, has more driver info and comfort options, stuff like seat heaters, tire pressure monitors. Only flaw in the latter half is the throttle is computer controlled, no direct connection from the pedal to the throttle plate, 'fine control' isn't really there, if you like ridge running or crawling up rutted roads.

And listen to Drei, he's beating the hell out of his Sub. He knows what they can and can't do. Me, I just like to cruise fire roads and warm desert highways and washes. It is like driving your living room. Very comfy and for a lot of people and gear.
All the Subs were sized to haul 4'x8' sheet goods behind the driver seats, with the rear closed up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179

Members online