GMT400 vs GMT800 Suburban

Bojak

Adventurer
Shoot if I could find a clean k2500 crew cab like that I'd forget all about suburbans. They are unobtanium.
Not to hijack, but......
The k2500 was #3 on my list of vehicles I really screwed up on by letting get away. #1 was a 1970 nova ss triple black with original paint and interior all in A condition. Numbers matching original with 68k original miles. #2 1989 Chevy crew cab 4x4 3500 single rear wheels. 1 ton beauty with D60 up front. I like to tinker and it has lead to decisions I regret later but live and learn. Here is my current project. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
62062dfa4161417287024182082e9093.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

kweetech

Observer
I had my heart set on a squarebody, but came across a clean 99 instead. I still want the squarebody so thinking of selling mine soon-ish. 99 gmt-400, 3/4t 4x4. 5.7/4.10gears/locker. Originally and AZ Fleet vehicle never really towed much. Currently at 136k..clean inside (cloth 3 bench/floor shift 4x4/vinyl floors/crank windows) and out. When it's ready will post an ad...
If anyone is looking ;-)

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
I had my heart set on a squarebody, but came across a clean 99 instead. I still want the squarebody so thinking of selling mine soon-ish. 99 gmt-400, 3/4t 4x4. 5.7/4.10gears/locker. Originally and AZ Fleet vehicle never really towed much. Currently at 136k..clean inside (cloth 3 bench/floor shift 4x4/vinyl floors/crank windows) and out. When it's ready will post an ad...
If anyone is looking ;-)

Pics or it didn't happen! Sounds like a dream vehicle to me... it would definitely replace a 3/4 ton suburban on my list if I thought i could get one for the same money.

CampStewart

Observer
I looked for a clean rust free 3/4 ton square body for a couple of years before giving up and buying my 99. Once I got used to the creature comforts there was no thought of going back. I am a big believer in straight axles for ultimate durability but I don't need that with the duties my Suburban performs

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I looked for a clean rust free 3/4 ton square body for a couple of years before giving up and buying my 99. Once I got used to the creature comforts there was no thought of going back. I am a big believer in straight axles for ultimate durability but I don't need that with the duties my Suburban performs

"Square Body" and "rust free" don't belong in the same sentence, sadly. Even here in Colorado where it's dry, it's rare to see a square body that doesn't either have major body rust or has not required significant repairs.

And you really can't fault Chevy for that. The square body came out back in the dinosaur days (1973.) It's not reasonable to expect modern rust proofing on a 25+ year old vehicle.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Well, I deviated from the plan, at least momentarily, and bought me a nice, clean 87 V10 Suburban. Found it at a fair price with a few easy things needed but a guy who just needed to get rid of it. Runs and drives great, now I just gotta de-redneck it a little and see if I can make a couple dollars. I'll probably still make my way towards a later model burb before too terribly long.

Specs:
1987 V10 (formerly known as k10) suburban
350 TBI
700r4 automatic
4" rough country lift that rides surprisingly well for an old, cheap leaf sprung truck that's lifted (not sure if i'll lower it a little or keep it - TBD, open to recomendations)
17" chrome bro-dozer special wheels with some worn nitto tires... probably the first thing to go. Thinking to go back with stock chevy 15" rally wheels and a slightly oversized tire but not to big that i couldn't go stock height or stock+ 2" in the future

Glaring needs/easy fixes:
-Sagging headliner (Free or cheap to fix)
-Weird aftermarket stereo setup in after market center console that needs to be cleaned up and preferably removed and placed back in the stock hole, which is un-cut but empty. (Free or cheap to fix)
-Front seat covers are the only part of this interior that isn't super clean so I think I'll track down some OEM or OEM style replacements and install them. Not the cheapest option but the rest of the interior is so clean I think its the right thing to do.

Went out and bought it about 75 miles from my house and drove it home in the rain with no problems to speak of. I'll start a build thread when I have made some progress and update this thread accordingly. Stay Tuned!

Attachments

• black betty burb.JPG
    black betty burb.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 22

lilkia

Awesome! Need more pics! Keep it clean it up and run it. Keep the 17" wheels. Tires are cheaper and easier to find these days for 17s over 15s or even 16s. How many miles? Barn doors? If you dont mind where abouts (tx?) and how much(pm if you dont want to announce it)? Always curious as to what things sell for in different parts of the country. I want an old squarebody to do an 8.1 swap. Looks clean. More pics!

Jrgunn5150

Well, I deviated from the plan, at least momentarily, and bought me a nice, clean 87 V10 Suburban. Found it at a fair price with a few easy things needed but a guy who just needed to get rid of it. Runs and drives great, now I just gotta de-redneck it a little and see if I can make a couple dollars. I'll probably still make my way towards a later model burb before too terribly long.

Specs:
1987 V10 (formerly known as k10) suburban
350 TBI
700r4 automatic
4" rough country lift that rides surprisingly well for an old, cheap leaf sprung truck that's lifted (not sure if i'll lower it a little or keep it - TBD, open to recomendations)
17" chrome bro-dozer special wheels with some worn nitto tires... probably the first thing to go. Thinking to go back with stock chevy 15" rally wheels and a slightly oversized tire but not to big that i couldn't go stock height or stock+ 2" in the future

Glaring needs/easy fixes:
-Sagging headliner (Free or cheap to fix)
-Weird aftermarket stereo setup in after market center console that needs to be cleaned up and preferably removed and placed back in the stock hole, which is un-cut but empty. (Free or cheap to fix)
-Front seat covers are the only part of this interior that isn't super clean so I think I'll track down some OEM or OEM style replacements and install them. Not the cheapest option but the rest of the interior is so clean I think its the right thing to do.

Went out and bought it about 75 miles from my house and drove it home in the rain with no problems to speak of. I'll start a build thread when I have made some progress and update this thread accordingly. Stay Tuned!

Cool, my personal opinion is you won there.

The GMT400 isn't as simple, easy, or cheap as the squarebodies, or as comfy, common, and powerful as the 800.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Awesome! Need more pics! Keep it clean it up and run it. Keep the 17" wheels. Tires are cheaper and easier to find these days for 17s over 15s or even 16s. How many miles? Barn doors? If you dont mind where abouts (tx?) and how much(pm if you dont want to announce it)? Always curious as to what things sell for in different parts of the country. I want an old squarebody to do an 8.1 swap. Looks clean. More pics!

I'm in DFW, TX. Don't mind saying I paid about 5k. It has the barn doors and it actually has the relatively rare (and even more rare in-tact) rear heat/air with a blower in the back. Everything else seems to work so I think i'll have it inspected and legal within a few days to start really enjoying it.

As far as tire size....i'm not sure you're correct. I think smaller wheels still means cheaper tires... i did 30 seconds of research just now to double check. Just referenced about a 31" tire for a 15" and 17" and the 15" was like $40 cheaper per tire for new BFG AT's at Discount Tire. Either way I'm not too concerned about finding them and I'm planning on addressing the interior stuff before I get into tires and wheels. I'll just keep an eye out for some clean stock wheels in the meantime.

lilkia

Its possible for the smaller tires. Ive been looking for new 33sx16s and it seems like theres more options for less money for the 17s. Nice buy on the burb. I would have grabbed it too, for $5k.
We still need more pics.

Last edited:

jonathon

Nice choice on the Suburban. They age a lot better than the GMT400 does. I love my 1988 K2500 7200gvw ex cab long bed, but the plastic everything doesn’t age well at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998