Go fast....get Cage.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Dennis (the passenger) is a very experienced 4WD enthusiast, both personally and professionally.

That's all and good, but sitting in the passenger seat, his experience is worth diddly.

Had it been me driving, and felt I needed a helmet, he would have worn one, whether he was the owner of the rig, my boss, or my worst enemy, or I wouldn't drive like the driver did.

Lose my job becuase of it? (if he was the boss/owner and I the refusing driver) Maybe, but I'd sleep better at night.

The point is, it was stupid, and worse yet they posted on the web, as a memoriam!

Just my opinion, but it was in bad taste.

HB

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
That's all and good, but sitting in the passenger seat, his experience is worth diddly...

Again, he's an adult. Respect his decision as much as you would want yours. But I do think he did everything 'right' once he knew what was happening. He held firmly to the grab bar, he didn't try and put his arm out in a failed attempt to save the rig or brace against the driver, looked to be steadying his body instead of putting his hands on his and screaming and he didn't just freak out and unbuckle himself, landing on the driver. I've seen all of those scenarios play out. What if's are just that, what if.

How many of you wear helmets in your rigs? Many of which likely have weaker roof structures than the JK. Are you going to tell me you never decide to open things up a bit and bomb down a wash or cover a good chunk of ground as the sun is setting? What if you rolled? ;)

K2ZJ

Explorer
I thought the helmet thing at the beginning was for show, it was hammed up quite a bit. How do we know the driver felt he needed a helmet? How many of you would have posted about his lack of helmet if there were no rollover? Hindsight is 20-20.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: My cage isn't teraflex, but I do have a cage and harness and I don't go fast anymore, but

PICT0101-1.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

I've enjoyed my JKU for two years, with it's JEEP engine !!

:costumed-smiley-007:costumed-smiley-007 JIMBO

Mg-rover1

Observer
Great Minds think alike. I watched this before reading any of the posts and when the driver put on a helmet and the passenger looked in the back and then put on a HAT. The first thing I said to my friend was, "if the driver puts on a helmet, and there's not one for me, I'm out."

I agree! They've done studies you know...60% of the time it works, everytime.

96discoXD

Adventurer
Wow, a couple things come to mind.
Doing that without a helmet is just pure stupidity. It's his right to be stupid, but putting it in a video and posting it out there is irresponsible and in a way almost indirectly condones taking that sort of risk.

I've taken some poor risk in my time as well like pushing too hard at a track day in my old '87 Porsche 911 and ending up sideways at 95mph. I was able to save it but I swore after that I wouldn't push that hard again unless the car was equipped with a full cage, proper racing seats and harnesses like my old track car was.

Having been exposed to road racing and track days and seeing what a properly constructed cage can do to allow one to walk away almost unscathed from what looked to be a fatal accident, I wouldn't rely on the factory roll cage on my JK for any real protection. Much like a chain, a rollcage is only as strong as it's weakest link which as that video illustrates is the flimsy steel sheetmetal windshield frame.

I have a wife and children and others who care about me and I take it as my responsiblity to protect myself for their sake as much as my own.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Always thought TeraFlx was professional.

This video makes them look like pikeys. An R&D programme needs more professionalism and proper equipment. The driver obviously is not a professional driver. The comments above from the track people illustrate.

Skylinerider

Adventurer
I can't believe some of the comments here. I've been on these trails, and would never even think of putting on a helmet while driving them, unless I was on an ATV. And now we even criticize how the driver holds the steering wheel?

rynosurf

Adventurer
How many of you wear helmets in your rigs? Many of which likely have weaker roof structures than the JK. Are you going to tell me you never decide to open things up a bit and bomb down a wash or cover a good chunk of ground as the sun is setting? What if you rolled? ;)

I agree, how fast do you have to go before you need a helmet? I'm sure most here have gone over 30 in the dirt without a skull cap on. I dont even think the helmet thing would be an issue if the driver wasn't (as a joke) wearing one.

96discoXD

Adventurer
I agree, how fast do you have to go before you need a helmet? I'm sure most here have gone over 30 in the dirt without a skull cap on. I dont even think the helmet thing would be an issue if the driver wasn't (as a joke) wearing one.

It's a matter of knowing your limits. As others have said, the driver donned a helmet which would indicate that he intended to attain a level of speed such that he felt it necessary to have the additional protection. If the driver weren't wearing a helmet it wouldn't be as big an issue, but then again he might no longer be with us if he weren't...

I wouldn't wear a helmet when wheeling or even when driving fast on dirt. I've traveled down well-graded dirt/gravel roads at 55-60mph, not a big deal, but when you're dropping the hammer on a desert trail with the twists, ruts, and banks that ultimately led to them flipping over that's a different story.

I wore a helmet, nomex gloves etcetera whenever I was doing a track event. I could make the arguement that since it wasn't wheel to wheel racing it was highly unlikely I would have an accident that would require the protection, but tracks require that gear for a good reason. All it takes is a momentary lapse of focus or one minor error to cause a spectacular wreck when you're on the proverbial edge, whether on pavement or dirt.

XXXpedition

Explorer
And now we even criticize how the driver holds the steering wheel?
ever seen a destroyed hand from that???????????????
then you might think twice ;-)

i don't even hold my wheel on the road like that... but that might be just me... (?)

alosix

Expedition Leader
ever seen a destroyed hand from that???????????????
then you might think twice ;-)

i don't even hold my wheel on the road like that... but that might be just me... (?)

Ah yeah.. see what you mean now :). I've had that beaten into me from a young age not to do that. My mom (mid 60s) still has a messed up thumb from loosing a tire on a drag strip in her road runner.

I enjoyed the video. Those guys were def both fairly lucky. Can't say I would have done much different than what they did. Some times stupid ******** happens and you can't be 100% prepared 100% of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998